Educate me please

TRIGGER

My 9yo is wanting a motorcycle. I'm not looking to get him one right now but stopped at the Honda shop just to look. When I was riding you had 1 choice..2 stroke and chose from 80, 125 or 250. Now they have 2 stroke, 4 stroke, odball sizes (to me), big wheel, etc. I'm lost especially since they didn't have anything in stock to look at smaller than a 125. Any help understand the new bikes would be appreciated.

Matttannet

Get a used pw80...cheap, you can beat it up, and sell it when he out grows it. I agree, In the old days, the selection was easier

Hduke86

Depending on how big your boy is I'd stay away from 2 smokers. I've rode plenty of 2 smokers and 4 strokes. One of the biggest differences is going to be the delivery of "power" while riding. The 2 strokes have a area in the power delivery known as the "power band" where it makes the power faster if you get what I mean. It'll cause new riders to do what is called whiskey throttle and usually send them flying off in a direction they don't want to go and the front wheel pointing to the sky. I did it plenty when I first started riding. The 4 strokes have a "smoother" delivery of power and not as harsh when they get of the throttle meaning it's not going to just kick in and whip them back on the seat and whiskey throttle. My personal recommendation is get a cheap used 50cc or 80cc 4 stroke that is what they call "semi automatic" no clutch but does have gears and let him build confidence and get the comfortable cause it's not "if" he wrecks but when. If he enjoys riding and gets comfortable and confident then sell the used bike and step up to a newer and a size up.

Latest posts