Educate me on the suppressor / trust deal

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Got a buddy that has finally decided to get a surpressor.
He asked me about the "trust" deal.

Does this make the process cheaper or quicker?
Benefits / drawbacks to this?

What exactly do you have to do in order to use the "trust" route ?

pressfit

When I got mine.. I read until my eyes bled about the trust deal.. personally it was way easier just to get the sheriff to sign off on it and send in the paper work.. if I buy another one that's what I will do the next time..

Bucket

I went the trust route. Reason being, I could add my family members to the trust and that would allow them to be in possession of the suppressor without my being present. Additionally, the trust would allow NFA items to be passed down to my heirs without having to go through the whole $200 deal again. Supposedly the hearing protection act would do away with that benefit, but for now it is still the case. My trust was $79 through 199trust.com . You only pay once and can amend the trust later to add other NFA items. It also means you don't have to get the sheriff to sign off on your paperwork, but you do have to get the trust notarized.

Deer Assassin

I went trust route. Way easier. But I believe the law changed last July. That even with trust you have to have. Cleo sign off and finger prints

I was grandfathered because I did my trust before the law change

To my knowledge and I could be wrong. The only difference between going the 2 routes is that with a trust. Other people can use it if they are on the trust and make it easier when you die.

But there is no advantage to a trust as far as ease to obtain a suppressor

infoman jr.

Trust doesn't require leo sign-off, but it does require the grantor and anyone on the trust to be fingerprinted. The atf is taking their sweet time with trust transfers, but individual Form 4s are speeding up quite a bit.

I'm expecting my February Trust Form 4 any day now...

Attachments

• nfatrack.JPG
    nfatrack.JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 1,245

TraumaSlave

I called today on my Jan 9 form 4 individual, still pending. Time to approval has decreased but, still depends on the agent assigned.
Only benefit to a trust is multiple users. I don't really have anyone that I'd just hand my stuff to for use without me so, no need for trust. NFA items pass without $200 fee at time of death to next of kin or designee.

Wiley

As mentioned, as of July last year the rules for NFA Trusts changed. Prior to the change you could name any number of trustees, all of them could possess the NFA item as if it was theirs and they didn't have to provide fingerprints nor undergo a background check. Only the grantor underwent a background check but was not required to submit fingerprints. The new regs require fingerprints of the grantor and all the trustees in addition to a background on all as well. The benefit of all on the Trust to be able to possess the NFA item and use it is still there but with the additional hoops to jump thru.

All that being said, you'll quit shooting without a suppressor once you have one and a suppressed .22 is almost too much fun :)

Bucket

Deer Assassin":2cg4nya1 said:
Just curious. If I was to get another I have the trust from before the deadline would I have to be fingerprinted or would it work the way it did the first time ?
I'm curious to this as well....

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Deer Assassin":2x51kb83 said:
Just curious. If I was to get another I have the trust from before the deadline would I have to be fingerprinted or would it work the way it did the first time ?

You have to submit fingerprints and passport photos for each "responsible person" on the trust with the new application. I just went through the process and I switched dealers to one with a Silencer Shop kiosk, it greatly simplified the process.

TraumaSlave

Roost 1":2hiws6mm said:
What would I need to do right now to get the process started? Is there a sight I can go to get all the info?
Here is a good place to start. Very easy process online.
https://www.silencershop.com/services.html

Depending on where you're located, TN Silencer Shop is great to deal with too. Robert is very knowledgeable and a great guy to deal with. Buy there or have them receive your purchase from Silencer Shop. If you want, he will set up a ttrust for you.
https://www.tennesseesilencer.com/your-first-purchase

TraumaSlave

waterfowlwidowmaker":1o2y12i7 said:
Deer Assassin":1o2y12i7 said:

You have to submit fingerprints and passport photos for each "responsible person" on the trust with the new application. I just went through the process and I switched dealers to one with a Silencer Shop kiosk, it greatly simplified the process.
Is that to add a new person to the already established trust or a new NFA item?

TraumaSlave":6ym8bq2l said:
waterfowlwidowmaker":6ym8bq2l said:
Deer Assassin":6ym8bq2l said:

Is that to add a new person to the already established trust or a new NFA item?

That was the process I just went through to buy another suppressor. If I'm not mistaken, the only time you have to send any new prints or photos is when you submit a new form 1 or 4 application, no actions necessary if you amend the trust in between applications.

Latest posts