Eating Carp?

LanceS4803

LanceS4803

Has anyone eaten carp? I've thrown a bunch away, but am now considering giving it a try.
This is from a restaurant in Louisiana.

[youtube]faZqIdGi87k[/youtube]

S

scn

Supporter
They are showing the invasive Asian carp and not the common carp. I've eaten some of it, and it wasn't too bad.

CATCHDAWG

CATCHDAWG

^^^x2^^^ I’ve eaten common carp a couple times smoked and it was pretty decent. They say buffalo are really good but I haven’t tried them yet.

Crappie Luck

Crappie Luck

Staff member
I threw a carp filet to our barn cat once. He didn't eat it and didn't even come around the barn for about a week.

That was all I needed to know.

X-Tennessean

X-Tennessean

I have eaten the Asian carp, it is not bad at all. White meat and honestly had a good flavor, the texture is more dense kinda like a tuna fillet I guess.

C

chris1976

Buffalo is one of the best eating freshwater fish. Just score the bones before frying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

P

Piddler

R.I.P.
I've eat a lot of carp when I was growing up and lived on the shore of Cherokee lake when it took a few acres of our home farm. That was when Cherokee was a very clear lake. It was good tasting but bony. We would catch a catfish now and then and an ocassional bass. There were no crappie at that time.

LanceS4803

LanceS4803

scn":3dtv4wda said:
They are showing the invasive Asian carp and not the common carp. I've eaten some of it, and it wasn't too bad.

I need to work on my fish identification!

R

ruger7mag

The Asian silver carp taste great! I have a couple pounds of fillets in the freezer. Usually we don't fool with cleaning them unless they are at least 15 or 20 pounds though.

B

BlackBelt

I can eat anything if it has enough Sweet Baby Rays bbq sauce on it.

iowavf

iowavf

Joe Tess restaurant in South Omaha Ne has made a living out of serving Carp and not the Asian version. Dinners Drive-ins and Dives did a show there once showing how they prep the fish before frying. Carp have lots of small bones but when deep fried seems to dissolve them. Ate there a few times, pretty good fish.

E

eddie c

I know some guys in south Texas that will take carp and gar and treat it like tuna in a can, mix it with stuff, make small balls and deep fry it or make patties and fry it in a cast iron skillet.
I ran into another guy here that mother would can the carp in jars so they would have some fish to eat in winter. he said she fried it in patties.

RUGER

RUGER

Supporter
BlackBelt":1ykqgupd said:
I can eat anything if it has enough Sweet Baby Rays bbq sauce on it.

:super: :super:
Yes sir!!!!!!!

Bone Collector

Bone Collector

Supporter
Where is Catman. He is the Carp king. I'm pretty sure he throws them back.

I think i tried it when i was a kid. I am not big on freshwater fish. My grandfather used to tell me, that the best way to eat a carp was to filet it, put it on a cooking board, and season it with melted butter, and herbs of your choice. Then cook it in the oven for about 15 minutes. After that take the board out, throw the carp away and eat the board. :tu:

shopson

shopson

I think I will pass on the carp of any kind and stick with the crappie, walleye, and sauger.

BackwoodsBoy

BackwoodsBoy

I may try it this spring, always tossed them but I started eating longnose gar last summer and it was very good

P

Piddler

R.I.P.
There was one family near us. He would catch carp when they were shoaling in a tub with the bottom cut out. His wife would pressure can them. In about 30 days the bones would be soft. She would make patties, like salmon patties. They were as good as any salmon patties I've ever eat.

7mm08

7mm08

Thank you but I am not that hungry! Why exactly would you want to eat a bottom sucking fish in the first place? I feel the same way about Talapia BTW.