East Tennessee Rifle?

Safari Hunt

Interesting post here. Know of some fellows who deer hunt with flintlocks. They follow the Long Hunter tradition with the old time clothing, wool blankets, etc. They only wear orange to comply with regulations; page 24 of the hunting regulations. That would be a challenge.

Rancocas

I don't bother with the traditional clothing, but about all that I have hunted with for the past 25 or 30 years are traditional muzzleloaders, both flintlock and percussion. I love the challenge of a single shot muzzleloader, the tradition, and also getting as close as possible to the game.
I built my own .50 percussion Lancaster style long rifle back in 1998 and have used it almost exclusively since then. It has accounted for many deer and one hog. I use it for bear also, but have not connected with one of them yet. (I did take one bear, years ago, with a .30/30.)
My 20 gage flintlock fowler is a replica of a common Indian trade smoothbore of about the 1740's era. It has a shorter range than my rifle, but I have also taken deer with it. I bought it "in the white" from Caywood and put a finish on it myself.
"Short range" is relative, I suppose. I keep all my shots under about 75 yards. Under 40 with the smoothbore.)
I made my own shot bag, several powder horns, powder measures, loading blocks, and some other accoutrements. I made an "Alaskan pack board" for carrying game out of the woods. I like to make as much of my own gear as possible.
Years ago I spent three days hunting in rainy weather in northern Michigan with my flintlock fowler. I was camped in the back woods and never bothered to unload each night. I kept a "cow's knee" over the lock to keep it dry. At the end of those three days of rain, I touched off the gun just to see if it would fire. It did.

Mescalero

rcfisc59

tnpoorboy

tnpoorboy

I have a buddy lives in Illinois that has a small caliber looks a lot like that but think it's a cap fired, he kills squirrels with it every year, he has a board with holes drilled in it where he stages his shots , he can get off rounds really quick lol If $ was no problem I would need a warehouse to store my gun
Mike243 do you live north of Knoxville I thank you let me use your chaps to go on tn elk hunt few years ago

tnpoorboy

20230612_163016.jpg
this one I just finished up today hope you enjoy

tnpoorboy

Wanting to learn about those guns may lead you down a path of no return…they are very addicting. Lol.

I'm not familiar with that builder but they are many that make beautiful guns. Check out the photos at Kiblers Longrifles:

There are some longrifle shows that are not too far from middle tn. The Alabama Kentucky longrifle show is held at Joe Wheeler state park. I liked it so much the first time I went that me and a friend got a table at the last show to show our guns and related stuff. Had a blast.

Another show is at Lake Cumberland state park in Kentucky. Lots of guns and knives and such. It's put on by the Contemporary Longrifle Association. I took another friend to the show this year and when we got there he said "I think I've died and gone to heaven"….and we were just in the foyer.

Check out Blackpowder TV YouTube channel. He's got some nice guns.
If you guys need o e of these put together let me know I'm in Knoxville

Attachments

• 20230612_163016.jpg
    20230612_163016.jpg
    343.9 KB · Views: 28

Terrier

Good looking rifle! Nice workbench too. You coming to the shoot Saturday?
Yessir! Been very busy the last few weeks making stuff so I can be well equipped on Saturday...

BTW, that's not a work bench. That's my stairwell to the basement and the gun vise I built just sitting on top of the railing to make for a nice background :)

- Couldn't find any caps to buy for my Hawken, so I got the Kibler SMR .40 and built that.

- I've always thought my old horn was way too big and have been wanting to make a smaller one, so I made a new powder horn. It holds just under a half pound of FFFg. Enuf for about 60 shots with the .40... I made the Black and white one about 30+ years ago. Holds near 2 lbs of powder.
Old Horn.jpg

- My old powder horn and possibles pouch were more or less one unit, so I made a new possibles pouch.
(rifle for scale)
Possibles Bag with Rifle for Scale.jpg
New bag and horn.jpg

- Needed another round ball bag, so I made one of those.

Ball bag.jpg

- The ball starter I had for my .50 Hawken was too big for the SMR, so made a new ball starter for the .40 cal.

Ball Starter.jpg

- Never had a flintlock before, so made a flint wallet. ( no pic yet)

- New caliber, so I made a new loading block for the .40 (The original speed loader!)
(old ball starter in the pic)
Loading Block.jpg

- On tonight's agenda is a new antler powder measure for the 50 grain load I'm using in the .40... I have a brass one, but I prefer antler measures.
and, I'll probably whip out a new vent pick.

It's amazzzzzzing what you can get done when the TV stays off...

Latest posts