Ears?

Mike Belt

Any of you guys doing taxidermy work ever use bondo and tow in the ears instead of cutting ear forms? It's much faster and easier but you have to work fast before it sets.

AT Hiker

I have used both, its all about getting it thin and properly prepping the ear. National titles have been won with bondo and commercial ear liners. Today most competition pieces use ear liners but still to this day one of the very best taxidermist uses bondo. I just found that out and I would have sworn he used liners.

However if you notice a mount with ears busted out at the top or curled over and oddly shaped, likely bondo. Like anything its all about how you use it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigtex

I've been using the bonded ear method for several years now. Like AT hiker said, it's all in the prep. You have to open the ears all the way to the tip and edges to prevent them from curling. I also use chopped fiberglass mixed into the bondo. I've never had "drumming" problems with the bondo method.

taximan

i use bondo mixed with chopped fiberglass on all my large game. turn ears all the way and get your edges butterknife thin...