Dwarf Chinkapin oak

ERIC

Does anyone have experience with Dwarf Chinkapin Oak trees? I have some ordered and was wondering about spacing and how well they have done compared to sawtooth oak, chestnut, etc.

ERIC

Yeah, I think that is a different species. Those are more like a small chestnut. I'm going to be planting 50 of the Dwarf Chinkapin Oaks this weekend. I guess time will tell how they do.

TNlandowner

I planted 18 DCO trees in 2014. They were started in rootmaker trays, then transferred to larger Rootmaker pots. I planted them when they were 10" - 12" tall. 4 years later, they are 4 - 5' tall. Very slow growth rate of 1' per year. In fairness, they could have grown more if not for deer, who have severely damaged most of the trees. They love these leaves and also like breaking the branches with horn rubs. Lesson learned: If you plant them, protect them! Wire fencing or at least 5' tree tubes.

This lesson applies to Dunstan Chestnut trees as well. Deer will eat every exposed leaf below 5' tall.

Sawtooth oaks will grow much faster. I planted over 100 Sawtooth and Nutall Oak trees in 2009. The Sawtooth trees planted along ridges are now 18' - 20' tall. The Nutall oaks planted in valleys are 12' - 14' tall. Neither the sawtooth or Nutall Oak have produced acorns yet. Maybe the Sawtooth will produce this year?

Note: The Sawtooths were planted 12' spacing and have raced upward, still allowing light for briars on other competing weeds to grow. The Nutall Oaks, also planted 12' spacing, have grown outward, shading out the plants beneath their canopy. No briars, gum or maple trees are trying to grow under them.

Latest posts