Dutch Oven Cooking

bowriter

R.I.P.
The recipes are the same. just watch the temp and do the clean up right. I have a huge collection of black iron cookware. Remember, black iron keeps on cooking long after you take it off the heat.

bowriter

R.I.P.
In cleaning, if you have to wash it (most of us just wipe it out) be sure to re-season. Add just a touch of oil and place on stove and wipe well with paper towel until all surfaces are shiney. One of my skillets is close to 70 years old and one of my Dutch ovens is nearly 100. I kinda collect the stuff.

bowriter

R.I.P.
This Dutch oven is close to 100 years old according to the company that made it.

forum-37.jpg

Hawk

midtndeerhunter said:
was wondering if any of ya'll cook in a dutch oven a lot and if so if you wouldn't mind sharing some good recipes you like to use.

Are you talking about the ovens with feet and inverted top to hold coals or the kind you use on a stove or in an oven?

bowriter

R.I.P.
The true Dutch oven is usually black iron with a flanged lid to hold coals. However today they come in a variety of fancey styles including teflon.

For me, a Ducth oven will always be black iron. Everything else is just a pot. There is nothing I can do in a kitchen I can't do on a campfire.

Cy

When we do beans and cornbread at the cabin, I always cook the cornbread in a dutch oven. I cheat. Box of Jiffy mix, use buttermilk instead of whatever they say to put in there (water or milk, can't remember) and add 2 small cans of green chilis. A dozen charcoal briquets under and a dozen charcoal briquets on the lid. I bake it in an old aluminum pie pan and I set that on a old tuna can that sits directly on the bottom of the oven. 45 minutes (preheat the dutch oven), about as good as you can get.

Latest posts