Durability of Deer

Ski

Where did you hit him at?

I hit gut and liver. My broadhead punctured his diaphragm but didn't touch lungs. The lung damage he had was in the front. Heck my shot barely even cut liver, but fortunately the hole in his diaphragm killed him quickly. I knew I made a terrible hit but it would be fatal, so I snuck out and waited til morning to track. I found him right away and he was stiff and cold, no septicemia, so he died within moments of my hit.

I admit I felt mildly guilty for a moment. My shot was by far and above the worst of the three times he's been hit, yet I was the one rewarded.

Ski

Tough buck no doubt. Doesn't look like the mechanical broadhead opened. I've never used them for that reason. Also, you have to make sure your broadheads are razor sharp. Even though the arrow went through both lungs, doesn't mean the blades cut arteries/veins. Arteries/veins are elastic and will move if the blade doesn't slice them. Appears as though either the broadhead blades missed the arteries/veins or were not sharp enough. Speculation on my part, but if the broadhead properly cut arteries/veins he would have bled to death quickly. We owe it to the game we pursue to do our part to make a clean, quick, ethical kill.

You know your blades are sharp enough when the hair pops off of your arm or hand. Not shaving sharp, hair popping sharp. It's like when you think your hunting knife is sharp after using a stone or other means to make it razor sharp. Then strop it with a strap and it goes from shaving sharp to hair popping sharp.

Congrats on a beautiful buck.

That's an interesting theory, and may be exactly right. The 3 blade head I pulled from his shoulder may have been open, or not. I pulled it out so the blades could have closed as I did. There was no retainer, and I do not recognize the head. It looks cheap so it very well could have been dull.

The other wound was a pass through. The exit was still about 3/4" hole that hadn't closed. The entry was closed but was an unmistakable 2 blade broadhead shape. Don't know if it was fixed or mechanical, only that it was a very wide cut.

And I agree with blade sharpness. It's paramount in my opinion. Dull blades push tissue aside rather than severing it, and hemorrhage is necessary for a kill.

Bell3wv

Trail cam pics showed this guy wearing a nice new scar on his right shoulder. I figured it was either an arrow that bounced off his shoulder or possibly a gore from fighting. While peeling his hide yesterday afternoon I saw that it was indeed a big two blade broadhead that made the wound, but it didn't bounce off. He had an exit wound under his opposite leg, meaning the arrow passed through, inevitably double lunging him. The first and second pics show the wounds and he is very much alive and well in those pics. Somebody made a perfect shot but that deer didn't die. While gutting him I did notice his lungs were deformed and odd.

After skinning him down and removing head, the taxidermist began caping out around the skull and antlers. Before cutting the skull plate I noticed he had an absses between his bases, so I started digging. Embedded in his skull was the broken antler tip of another buck.

If not already wondering how this deer was even alive, while carving meat from one of his front quarters my knife sank into a puss pocket. Inside was a the broadhead with broken arrow in the last pic. It had a tough, firm, almost sinew like encasement that my knife could barely cut.

I have no idea how this deer was alive. He'd survived two very serious, usually quite fatal arrow wounds, plus an antler puncture in his skull from fighting. My arrow was the third time he'd been shot, and that's what finally brought him down. I feel grateful, sad, fortunate, and amazed all at the same time. He left two hunters before me completely heart broken. What a monarch.
Incredible

Ski

Excellent argument FOR Muzzy or Thunderhead.

-Joe

I used to hunt with Thunderheads for years and although I killed lots of deer, I lost a couple too. Watched one of my arrows literally bounce off a buck's shoulder, and that was back on the aluminum days.

Over the years I've come to the belief that the head type or brand doesn't matter near as much as being sharp, putting it where it counts, and praying it works out. I made a horrible shot but killed this deer in seconds. I've made seemingly perfect shots and yet the deer survived. While there are generalities, nothing with archery ever seems absolute.

dr

Congratulations, great buck! I was bowhunting from a tree stand, and heard a loud crunching sound. About 5 minutes later, a big doe with 2 fawns appeared. She had a seriously injured front leg, and could only move by hopping on one front leg a few steps at a time. I figured she would never survive , but let her go because of the fawns. A year later ,during gun season a big doe with a slight limp walked across a clearing. A good buck was following her, but I couldn't get a clear shot at him. Im convinced it was the same doe i let walk the year before...
I decided that girl would get a fee pass from then on.

Latest posts