Dunstan Chestnuts

tn droptine

Just received an email talking about fall shipments of Dunstins going to Walmarts - is this the first year they have done this during the fall?

I prefer planting my trees in the fall anyways, so this is good for me :grin:

tn droptine

As soon as someone else comes out with a variety of chestnut that is better than the Dunstin, I'll try it - til then, I'd rather not take a chance on the run of the mill Chinese chestnuts that so many places offer.

tn droptine

treefarmer said:
If you only want a few then the Wal-Mart ones will be fine but if you are planting a good number consider the TN Div. of Forestry seedlings. There was a post here a while ago that said their Hybrid Chestnuts are from a Dunstan tree. $40 for 25 trees. They sell out quick so decide early if you are going to order from them. https://www.tn.gov/agriculture/publicat ... atalog.pdf

Yeah, every time I look on their website at the available seedlings I never see any of the Chestnuts available - any idea on how often they have them available? It would be nice if you could sign up for a notification for when they are in stock!

treefarmer

Tn Droptine, I've e-mailed the nursery to understand their situation and will post their reply. They grow their own trees/shrubs so once they are sold out they are out for the year. Ordering begins on July 1 for delivery Jan. - Mar.

tn droptine

treefarmer said:
Tn Droptine, I've e-mailed the nursery to understand their situation and will post their reply. They grow their own trees/shrubs so once they are sold out they are out for the year. Ordering begins on July 1 for delivery Jan. - Mar.

Thanks! I'll definitely be marking my calendar so as not to miss out this coming year :)

Latest posts