Dunstan Chestnut Trees

44 mag

It is the bloom if you will. Best way I can describe it is like a long fuzzy worm looking thing. The reason I asked about how close they were is because they are pollinated by wind and they have to be relatively close together.

With yours being 20 feet or so apart that's not the problem.

dg7080

I've got a few chestnut saplings left if anyone in upper middle TN might be needing some.. I will plant 3 or 4 but the others need a good home.

Attachments

• cnut.jpg
    cnut.jpg
    524.9 KB · Views: 88

Tn_Va_Hunter

Also through trial and error I've learned and read that when planting saplings in the fall. The roots actually continue to form and grow through the winter. And I've moved from pruning in the early winter to the first of March with good results. I figured why leave an open wound/ scar area all winter.
I go this route also

13pt

I know this thread has aged almost a year, but I'm guessing better to post here than start a new one. I'm so pumped! Took these pictures yesterday and I already have chestnuts! I planted 13 one-year seedling trees in the fall of 2019, so in less than 3 years I have chestnuts...AMAZING! I have taken very good care of them since they are only a couple of hundred yards from the house. The first two winters I kept a breathable frost cloth over them the entire winter, and then on and off for early and late frosts/freezes. Started them out in 4" growth tubes, which is why I didn't cage them and will let them grow into the tubes before removing them. I kept them watered during dry spells, and literally just fed them 2.5 gallons of water each yesterday because we haven't had any rain in two weeks. I didn't fertilize them until spring of last year, which is recommended not to do so for the first year, but then did both spring and early summer last year and this year (slow-release fertilizer). I also had to spray them for the past two years for Japanese beetles. They have some again this year but not too bad, so not sure yet if I will spray again this year. The only other problem I've had is the deer literally eating off the lower branches just above the top of the growth tube. I've attempted spraying smelly stuff and even left a bar of Irish Spring soap at each tree to keep the deer away, but it was almost like the more they stunk the more the deer were attracted. I guess as long as it's not human scent they just don't care. So, I finally gave in and just let them keep the lower branches pruned, which now seems to be a good plan after all. The trees are ranging from 1.75" to 2.5" in diameter at the base and seem to be about 10-14 ft tall, so really surprised I'm getting chestnuts already. Oh, and keep those weeds at bay! I don't use weed mats because they seem to me they would shed too much water when it rains, so I just spray around them probably 2-3 times a year. The growth tubes protect against overspray, though I will have to raise the growth tubes and pull weeds on occasion trying to grow inside next to the tree trunk. I also mulched around the trees when I planted them and have kept that in place ever since. So, I know this is old news to you veteran growers I see on this thread, but for anyone just starting out, everything I've done seems to have worked perfectly so far...good luck!
IMG_6228.jpg
IMG_6227.jpg

Gobble4me757

Reading this has peaked my interest. We own land in south Bama in the swamps and really would like to plant some chestnut trees. Now currently, I'm here in west Tennessee but would like to get some trees going though am unable to go to the camp and plant them. Could I start the trees here, grow for two years and then transport?

Also…where can I buy some of these around Jackson if transportation is an option?

Last edited:

utvolsfan77

Reading this has peaked my interest. We own land in south Bama in the swamps and really would like to plant some chestnut trees. Now currently, I'm here in west Tennessee but would like to get some trees going though am unable to go to the camp and plant them. Could I start the trees here, grow for two years and then transport?

Also…where can I buy some of these around Jackson if transportation is an option?
Check out the Garden Center at your local Walmarts. Most of them get shipments of the 3-gallon and 7-gallon tubs in the spring but they go quick here in East Tennessee.

DoubleRidge

Just got email from Chestnut Hill.

2022 First fall shipments to Rural King.

For those interested the Clarksville Rural King is listed for Sept 12th delivery and it's showing they will receive:

150 of the 3 gallon Chestnut.
15 of the 7 gallon Chestnut.
50 of the 3 gallon Persimmon.

The email also says that more trees are coming this fall to area Walmart stores.

Latest posts