Dunkirk

Wildcat

Wildcat

Supporter
I rented the movie, "Dunkirk", last Tuesday when it first came out in Redbox.

I'll tell you right now Redbox OVERCHARGED for that movie, if they were renting it for 25 cents for a whole week it would still be overcharging.

That movie sucks. They used a true history event that rates right up there with D-Day and turned it into crap. I was hopping for something like the Longest Day, I know it's impossible to get that many actors and extras in a movie today but we could still get a much better movie along those lines, but it didn't happen.

Save your money.

TreyB

TreyB

agree... I had high hopes for it.

duckduck84

duckduck84

Agreed. We watched it last week and it was awful. I couldn't tell when stuff was happening at all. First Christopher Nolan movie I haven't liked.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

U

Urban_Hunter

I was so excited about that movie we went to the theater to see it. That was the last movie I've seen in a theater of that tells you anything about how often I go. I tried not to read or listen to anything about the movie before seeing it, like watching a football game you've recorded. I love ww2 history and have studied it a good bit. I believe Dunkirk to be momentous in the war, showing the world that even in defeat the British would stand against Germany until one ceased to exist. The movie had "Saving Private Ryan" potential and delivered a steaming turd.

Dbllunger

Dbllunger

Supporter
I thought it was a great movie. Tom Hardy's role was my favorite part. It received an 8.1/10 on IMDB and has been nominated for 3 Golden Globes and 119 other awards from various organizations. I guess the thing is that movie likes or dislikes are subjective.

B

BMan

Thank the good Lord that Hitler made some colossal blunders during the war. If he had listened to Guderian, the war would have taken a markedly different course.

Bambi Buster

Bambi Buster

The subject matter being what it was, I would have said it was impossible for Dunkirk to be a bad movie. I would have been wrong. What a stinker; a bomb of megatonnage proportions.

I am hopeful that this one, which depicts the same era, will be better.

Darkest Hour

"During the early days of World War II, the fate of Western Europe hangs on the newly-appointed British Prime Minister Winston Churchill, who must decide whether to negotiate with Hitler, or fight on against incredible odds."

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4555426/

U

Urban_Hunter

BMan":2k42o1hi said:
Thank the good Lord that Hitler made some colossal blunders during the war. If he had listened to Guderian, the war would have taken a markedly different course.

Absolutely no doubt. Very likely the entire world as we know it would look different had Guderian had the authority to push on Moscow.

B

BMan

Urban_Hunter":1gm209pq said:
BMan":1gm209pq said:

Absolutely no doubt. Very likely the entire world as we know it would look different had Guderian had the authority to push on Moscow.
And Dunkirk. Guderian was poised to mop up the remaining BEF before he was stopped from attacking Dunkirk for 2 or 3 days; this gave the Brits' the opportunity to build defenses and start the evacuation. This allowed the west to remain relevant in the war, which forced Germany to divert materials and manpower to protect their rear.

There are a couple of excellent books out there about Guderian, including his autobiography.

TNRifleman

TNRifleman

Glad I am not the only one who thought it was poorly made. The story deserves so much better.

duckduck84

duckduck84

Dbllunger":y7ctvar1 said:
I thought it was a great movie. Tom Hardy's role was my favorite part. It received an 8.1/10 on IMDB and has been nominated for 3 Golden Globes and 119 other awards from various organizations. I guess the thing is that movie likes or dislikes are subjective.
Tom Hardy was good as was the other pilot. The story line with the father, son, boy, and Cillian Murphy was good as well, but the bulk of the movie just felt mismanaged to me.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

TNGunsmoke

TNGunsmoke

We rented it this weekend. Overall, we enjoyed it, but the way they kept jumping back and forth with the story line to show the interactions between characters at different points was kind of confusing. Glad I only spent 75 cents on the rental(had a rent one get one code).

Latest posts