Duffle for check baggage help.

Chief44

So with the Canada border being open now, it looks like my Alberta whitetail hunt may actually happen this year. I’m new to flying and need some advice on a good duffle type bag to carry all my clothing and gear in. I’m looking for one check bag that will hold all of my clothing, boots and other gear that will stay within the 62” linear requirement. I want something that is durable enough to handle the flight and will provide some protection. I’ve been looking at the Eberlestock hurcules duffle which I really like but I’m afraid it will be over the 62” causing me to pay another fee. This bag also weighs 14lbs which cuts me down to 36 lbs of gear. Also any suggestions on a carry on type bag would be appreciated also.

Buzzard Breath

I've got a Badlands Terra Glide that I bought for hunting trips, but also holds my fly rods nicely, so I use it for fishing trips also. It's slightly larger than the 62" max, but I've never been questioned or had to pay an extra fee as long as I keep the weight at 50. It normally goes on 3-4 trips a year, but I mostly fly Delta. YMMV.

DaveB

Whole lot depends on when and how far north you going...Alberta is a big place. South of Grand Prarie? Edmonton? Milk River? Just for the record, maybe fly to Great Falls and drive up?

Chief44

Whole lot depends on when and how far north you going...Alberta is a big place. South of Grand Prarie? Edmonton? Milk River? Just for the record, maybe fly to Great Falls and drive up?
We fly into Edmonton and meet our guide there. They then drive us to to our hunt location which is about 3 hours WNW

scn

Supporter
You might want to check out some of the Patagonia Black Hole duffle bags. They are durable, but pretty light. While not waterproof, they have a very water resistant coating.

Pretty good bang for the buck compared with some others.

scn

Supporter
If I was packing for a trip where keeping stuff dry was a major concern, this would be my choice:

They are light and totally waterproof. It is just a very well made bag, and are priced accordingly.

Rakkin6

Monster Cargo by Mystery Ranch. Trust me you can fit a ton in them. Mystery Ranch make great bags you may want to check out their website they make a ton of different bags.

Grnwing

I use to use a big eddie bauer duffle and that worked really well, weighs just a couple pounds. Now, I use my SKB case for my bow/rifle and will pack clothes around the weapon and whatever else cant go in my carry on. Then a lightweight roller bag for the rest of my gear and a backpack as my personal item. I ll wear my boots to fly if I need to shave any weight.

Mr.Bro

So with the Canada border being open now, it looks like my Alberta whitetail hunt may actually happen this year. I’m new to flying and need some advice on a good duffle type bag to carry all my clothing and gear in. I’m looking for one check bag that will hold all of my clothing, boots and other gear that will stay within the 62” linear requirement. I want something that is durable enough to handle the flight and will provide some protection. I’ve been looking at the Eberlestock hurcules duffle which I really like but I’m afraid it will be over the 62” causing me to pay another fee. This bag also weighs 14lbs which cuts me down to 36 lbs of gear. Also any suggestions on a carry on type bag would be appreciated also.

Get the nylon magnum bags. Cabelas is what I used on 3 Saskatchewan hunts.weights maybe 3 lbs. No protection but only put clothes, boots and non mechanical objects in it. Airlines are going to throw it around anyway. Everything else binos and. My cpap machine went in my xlarge carryon back pack. Oh yeah. Get your checked bag in a bright color so all handlers can see it. No place for camo. Also hand warmers show up as a metal object. Put them in carry on. Easier to check your carry on than your checked bag. No way you'll get winter clothes and pack boot under 34 lbs. Good luck.

Trophy of the moment

• Trophy by Gatlyn Larue
    This ole buck came out at 6:30 a.m trailing a doe,he stopped at 135yds...
    • Gatlyn Larue
    • Updated:

Latest posts