Duck River near I-65?

Bayou Buck

Anyone ever fish the Duck near I-65. If so, how is the fishing? Its about 10 minutes from the house so this is the easiest place to spend some time on the water. Looking at the area somewhere between 431 and iron bridge road.

WMAn

Are you using a boat or fishing from the bank? I have used my kayak on that stretch of the Duck River for hunting, but I have yet to fish it. My experience is the river needs to be 4 foot or lower for me to feel comfortable on it in my kayak. You can check the water levels here: http://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydrogra ... gage=colt1

When it gets below two feet, you can paddle upstream and drag across the gravel bars easily.

I think smallmouth are the number one attraction. Here's a discussion from last year:

http://www.tndeer.com/tndeertalk/ubbthr ... =0&fpart=1

catman529

I've been there once in my boat but didn't spend too much time fishing and hardly caught anything. I will be back this year doing some more serious fishing. If you happen to be fishing there while I'm turkey hunting maybe we can meet up, ill be hunting in the area

catman529

Oh and WMAn said the water should be lower for a kayak. If you have an outboard it should be a little higher. I took my boat up there in the summer when it was low and from iron bridge up to cheeks bend I hit a good bit of shoals where I had to jump out and drag the boat, and some where I barely made it with the trolling motor and the outboard bouncing on the gravel behind...

Bayou Buck

WMAn said:
Are you using a boat or fishing from the bank? I have used my kayak on that stretch of the Duck River for hunting, but I have yet to fish it.

I plan on using my nucanoe. Its a sot kayak/canoe hybrid thats pretty stable. There is plenty of places to put in and take out along that stretch so thats why I am looking at that area. I also wouldn't mind fishing a little after a morning turkey hunt.

WMAn

I've never tried it, but float fishing while listening for turkeys would be the way to go. Start out about 9:00 am, float and fish till you hear a bird then turkey hunt. Water levels are the problem though. At four feet or above it becomes really hard to find a safe place to land a canoe or kayak.

catman529

ZCM said:
Thinking about floating in my flat bottom with a trolling motor and turkey hunting some this season
I hope your TM is strong enough to get back up against the current. I wouldn't do it last year because I only had a TM. Now I have an outboard and plan on giving it a try if the birds are in the right spot.

ZachMarkus

We were gonna take 2 vehicles and drop one off at the ramp on iron bridge rd and drive up to the one on Howard bridge rd and float down,, that way we wouldn't have to troll back up river.

catman529

ZCM said:
We were gonna take 2 vehicles and drop one off at the ramp on iron bridge rd and drive up to the one on Howard bridge rd and float down,, that way we wouldn't have to troll back up river.
that's a good plan. It is like 14 miles between bridges though. Last summer I went upstream from iron to Howard bridge when the water was low. A mistake... Lost count of how many time I jumped out to drag the boat and got weeds caught in the TM prop :D

catman529

I floated right before bow season, I got out there early in the morning but honestly can't remember if I saw or heard any birds. It's a nice stretch of river though. Would love to camp out on the bank some time.

catman529

I think so but I hardly did any fishing because I just wanted to get to Howard bridge to meet ImThere and hang a stand. I'd like to spend a day just fishing that stretch. Mainly for smallmouth, catfish and carp.

Latest posts