Duck Hunting Guide ?

TNCharlie

TNCharlie

I just had a disappointing two-day duck hunt, but not necessarily because there were no ducks. The lack of ducks can't generally be blamed on the guide; that happens and is part of hunting. But attitude, grouchiness, and unprovoked verbal abuse of a paying customer is just over the top.

This is a guide that I have used several times before, and even though the hunting has not been overly successful, the trip was always fun and enjoyable. Not so this time. He was not just rude but did not provide a pleasant experience giving the impression that he is just tired of guiding. Therefore, I'm moving on.

I want to get a head start on planning for next year, so I'm asking for recommendations for a duck hunting guide in the Big Sandy/Paris area of Kentucky Lake.

Pic IN the Casa

Pic IN the Casa

Good luck.
Gratuities should reflect the appreciation level of service.

G

Goodtimekiller

Why would you use a guide there? You can hunt any of the islands or unoccupied blinds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TNCharlie

TNCharlie

Goodtimekiller":1w3ar09s said:
Why would you use a guide there? You can hunt any of the islands or unoccupied blinds.

Strange question but I suppose you are serious.

The list of reasons for me (and apparently lots of other people) to use a guide is long. I'll just hit a few highlights.

I would have no idea about where to hunt there. I do not have the equipment, such as decoys, that is needed. I do not have duck calling skills. The guide provides all the equipment, a comfortable blind, something to eat/drink, and heat if necessary. I'm am only an occasional duck hunter and have no desire to try do more than hunt a few days out of the season. Investing more time and money it is not practical for me. I enjoy the camaraderie in the blind with a friend and the new people I meet (picked up some new fishing spot tips just yesterday).

That's enough.

G

Goodtimekiller

Just odd, if you are paying a guide to duck hunt why not go somewhere that would have more success, reelfoot, arkansas, missouri. As you said, the last years you haven’t had much luck. I guess my opinion would be that you could have good time with friends at a hotel or getaway cheaper or spend the same money and have more success, but what do I know, i’ve hunted there my entire life.

Roost 1

Roost 1

If a great AR hunt would interest you check out Elk River Outfitters FB page.
Very reasonable prices for the quality of hunt you get.
Scotty Layman is the owner, you can check his FB page as well.

TNCharlie

TNCharlie

Roost 1":1jcbdcth said:
If a great AR hunt would interest you check out Elk River Outfitters FB page.
Very reasonable prices for the quality of hunt you get.
Scotty Layman is the owner, you can check his FB page as well.

Thanks. That is the type of info that I'm looking for. I've hunted Reelfoot (with a guide) and have an idea of who I would like to hunt with there. The Paris/Big Sandy area is the most convenient for me. I have wanted to try AR but didn't know how to start. I'll contact these people and still hope that I can find something in TN. But with some planning I I can make AR happen.

rem270

rem270

Supporter
Goodtimekiller":1hxp04po said:
Just odd, if you are paying a guide to duck hunt why not go somewhere that would have more success, reelfoot, arkansas, missouri. As you said, the last years you haven’t had much luck. I guess my opinion would be that you could have good time with friends at a hotel or getaway cheaper or spend the same money and have more success, but what do I know, i’ve hunted there my entire life.

In his original post he made a good explanation of why he was going back. Nothing odd about it. This is a guide that I have used several times before, and even though the hunting has not been overly successful, the trip was always fun and enjoyable

He had fun and the guide made it enjoyable for him up until this year. Now he didn't have a good year I'm sure he'll go elsewhere hence why he made this post.

G

Goodtimekiller

rem270":1y4rxjfy said:
Goodtimekiller":1y4rxjfy said:

In his original post he made a good explanation of why he was going back. Nothing odd about it. This is a guide that I have used several times before, and even though the hunting has not been overly successful, the trip was always fun and enjoyable

He had fun and the guide made it enjoyable for him up until this year. Now he didn't have a good year I'm sure he'll go elsewhere hence why he made this post.

If you would read my question it was why was he using a guide in the first place. I have hunted this area with a canoe/kayak and a dozen decoys. I know many many people that hunt here without a guide and its very easy to do. I questioned because of all the places you can pay for a guide, this is probably one of the worst places because there are rarely ducks here. I know many people with blinds there and could hunt a blind there every weekend if i wanted to. My question was not to be a smart aleck but just the absurdity (and yes we see the guide drive by our blind frequently and wonder who the heck is paying him) that people are paying a guide to duck hunt this area. Its like getting an alligator guide in tn, yeah you may see one but as far as alligator hunting goes there are much better options. You cant even try to help people on here without everybody getting offended. What i was going to get at was that for a little more than paying a guide you could hunt this area whenever you wanted to or you could pay for a guide somewhere else and have a much better duck hunt. And yes, to me, it is very odd that you keeping paying a duck guide and not killing ducks. So you said he made a good point, no he made a point but it wasn’t good. Like i said, you can have a jolly good time in a hotel much cheaper. Or, for the same price get a quality, fun duck hunt somewhere else.

rem270

rem270

Supporter
Goodtimekiller":3gvqidh7 said:
rem270":3gvqidh7 said:
Goodtimekiller":3gvqidh7 said:

If you would read my question it was why was he using a guide in the first place. I have hunted this area with a canoe/kayak and a dozen decoys. I know many many people that hunt here without a guide and its very easy to do. I questioned because of all the places you can pay for a guide, this is probably one of the worst places because there are rarely ducks here. I know many people with blinds there and could hunt a blind there every weekend if i wanted to. My question was not to be a smart aleck but just the absurdity (and yes we see the guide drive by our blind frequently and wonder who the heck is paying him) that people are paying a guide to duck hunt this area. Its like getting an alligator guide in tn, yeah you may see one but as far as alligator hunting goes there are much better options. You cant even try to help people on here without everybody getting offended. What i was going to get at was that for a little more than paying a guide you could hunt this area whenever you wanted to or you could pay for a guide somewhere else and have a much better duck hunt. And yes, to me, it is very odd that you keeping paying a duck guide and not killing ducks. So you said he made a good point, no he made a point but it wasn’t good. Like i said, you can have a jolly good time in a hotel much cheaper. Or, for the same price get a quality, fun duck hunt somewhere else.

No I'm not offended at all. I don't duck hunt so don't know how many ducks are up that way compared to other areas. Have duck hunted a little bit and always had fun. This post has perked my interest to possibly go on a hunt next year now that I'm living in AR. I'm sure I could get in on a good hunt here or within an hour or 2 from where I'm living. May try to get a tndeer get together with an outfitter or something.

cbhunter

cbhunter

Supporter
rem270":147ylf05 said:
Goodtimekiller":147ylf05 said:
rem270":147ylf05 said:
Goodtimekiller said:

No I'm not offended at all. I don't duck hunt so don't know how many ducks are up that way compared to other areas. Have duck hunted a little bit and always had fun. This post has perked my interest to possibly go on a hunt next year now that I'm living in AR. I'm sure I could get in on a good hunt here or within an hour or 2 from where I'm living. May try to get a tndeer get together with an outfitter or something.

I might be a taker in that one!

big 8s in Weakley county

big 8s in Weakley county

cbhunter said:
rem270 said:
Goodtimekiller said:
rem270 said:
Goodtimekiller said:

Where we going rem I'd prolly be in.

rem270

rem270

Supporter
big 8s in Weakley county":3evnjxym said:
cbhunter":3evnjxym said:

Where we going rem I'd prolly be in.

IDK but think we'll have plenty of time to decide before next year. I looked up that Elk River Outfitter and looks like they kill several ducks. Let's all start looking and see where looks good and see how far everyone that is interested wants to travel. Would be fun.

cbhunter

cbhunter

Supporter
I would come to wherever but I’d think somewhere back east
Of you would be best.

Also, I bet they are already booking next year hunts

TNCharlie

TNCharlie

rem270":27hbgo87 said:

I would be interested in something like that. Yes the Elk River deal sounds pretty good.

P.S. I'll just ignore that Goodtimekiller guy and his 7(?) posts.

rem270

rem270

Supporter
TNCharlie":30ombg6o said:
rem270":30ombg6o said:

I would be interested in something like that. Yes the Elk River deal sounds pretty good.

P.S. I'll just ignore that Goodtimekiller guy and his 7(?) posts.
cbhunter":30ombg6o said:
I would come to wherever but I’d think somewhere back east
Of you would be best.

Also, I bet they are already booking next year hunts

I'm dead serious about this. I bet we could easily get a group of 8-10 or even more that could occupy more than 1 blind and go have a blast. cbhunter you're right somewhere a little east of me would be better I'm sure. Heck it doesn't even have to be Arkansas for me I don't mind traveling where ever.

P

prstide

Goodtimekiller":1n17tseq said:

Username checks out. Maybe everyone that "duck hunts" this area is in a bad mood like the guide was since they are merely killing (good)time and no ducks? Come further west and you'll kill ducks!

G

Goodtimekiller

prstide":3idbqz8h said:
Goodtimekiller":3idbqz8h said:

Username checks out. Maybe everyone that "duck hunts" this area is in a bad mood like the guide was since they are merely killing (good)time and no ducks? Come further west and you'll kill ducks![/

So i’m the bad guy because i asked what kept the paying a duck guide that couldn’t find ducks and suggested he go somewhere else, which several of you have now suggested, or he do it himself, totally absurd i know. Now i see why you kept paying the duck hunting guide that couldn’t find ducks, its all making perfect sense now. I guess i give people too much credit.

cbhunter

cbhunter

Supporter
Goodtimekiller":2vv9gyyx said:
prstide":2vv9gyyx said:
Goodtimekiller":2vv9gyyx said:

Username checks out. Maybe everyone that "duck hunts" this area is in a bad mood like the guide was since they are merely killing (good)time and no ducks? Come further west and you'll kill ducks![/

So i’m the bad guy because i asked what kept the paying a duck guide that couldn’t find ducks and suggested he go somewhere else, which several of you have now suggested, or he do it himself, totally absurd i know. Now i see why you kept paying the duck hunting guide that couldn’t find ducks, its all making perfect sense now. I guess i give people too much credit.

Completely uncalled for IMO

G

Goodtimekiller

cbhunter":1c2pie6s said:
Goodtimekiller":1c2pie6s said:
prstide":1c2pie6s said:
Goodtimekiller said:

Completely uncalled for IMO

Are you serious? Then i have definitely given people too much credit.