Duck draw requirements?

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Ok so I didn't pay attention at all last year because, well I was pissed.
So now that we are going to have a computer draw every year now I have a question.

What are the license requirements to participate in the computer draw?
Do you have to have a sportsman's license or a regular one plus the wma permit or can you do it if you just have a hunting / fishing license?

Stlbaseball1

The requirements have changed per the Rule change yesterday. I don't want to misspeak, so I will refer to yesterday's meeting recorded on YouTube. It was discussed and a slide provided in the afternoon portion within the first hour after lunch if I remember correctly.

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled
If I'm remembering it right, the draw process will work just like the quota hunt draws have in the past for Bogota and Thorny Cypress. Biggest change will be a $12 fee for each draw you want to put in for unless you have one of the Sportsman's licenses(Yearly, Lifetime, or Senior). So if you just buy a reg hunt/fish and your 005 supplemental, you'll pony up $12 for a season long draw, $12 for the early, $12 for the mid season, and $12 for the late season draws. And you can't put in for the the early, mid, or late draws if you drew a season long. Party's have to be formed before the draw, just like last year, and party of 8 will have 8 entries(unlike last year). Unless it has changed between the things on the web site and the meeting yesterday, you can choose 1 or 2 drawings per draw, and pay the $12 for each, which doubles your $12 to $24.

For sure it's gonna be a bit more complicated. I think the fees are to offset the lost revenue from the groups that bring a ton of folks that don't won't hunt just to have another name in the pot and who won't now be buying a license and permit because it won't help as much.

The fee structure changes are somewhere around the 3 hour 36 minute mark give or take a little.

Last edited:

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Thanks.
Guess they already figured out the way to make up for the loss of sportsman's license sales with the $12 fee.

Gonna have to think about this one. May end up saying piss on it completely and just go on a couple guided hunts OUT OF STATE this coming year.
That way all I will have to give them is my hunting / fishing license fee.

Headhunter

The meeting was sad and about as crooked as any political process I have ever seen. I stand by my comments about the TWF and the commission has for sure made it clear they are not about common sense and accountability. Reminds me of congress, we have to pass the proposal and then see what is in it, of course we will change the rules and charge the hunters more money to make up for the money we plan to spend. Money we don't have, resources and man power (game wardens are overworked and not enough of them) to implement the proposal will also magically appear from wherever also.

The Commission needs to change or go. It is a joke. You can't sell a fairly drawn duck blind because that only benefits the rich, but a rich guy can decide he is to lazy to build a blind and just wants to hunt a couple days during the season, so we change the whole system for the rich guy. REALLY?

What a JOKE!

I support the game wardens, especially the more I learn about the TWRA as a whole. The rest of the TWRA, may have did great things in the past, but is sure becoming a useless part of the outdoors in Tennessee.

Levee Jumper

It's all going down hill, the people with $ override the hunters with common sense and knowledge.
Letting commissioners in East Tennessee drive changes to West Tennessee duck hunting is like letting a dentist give you a prostate exam!

THE DUKE

Agree, also letting commissioner's with degrees and no common sense rule over locals and hunters with knowledge is ridiculous buts it's all about the almighty $ and getting a building or street named after you that's most important.

flyinpro

Letting commissioners in East Tennessee drive changes to West Tennessee duck hunting is like letting a dentist give you a prostate exam!
Think not. We sportsmen in ETN pay the same fees, taxes and the rest and the property belongs to every resident. Did nt think some equal opportunity would disenfranchise so many. I think more blinds should be available for 3,4 - 7 day hunts. But I'll take it and be happy.

bluewinged46er

Now flyinpro, don't be silly. You know it's not safe for you to be wandering around by yourself looking for your blind in west TN. You might get hurt. Stick to the walk in areas of the smokies.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Now flyinpro, don't be silly. You know it's not safe for you to be wandering around by yourself looking for your blind in west TN. You might get hurt. Stick to the walk in areas of the smokies.
I understand why people want more spots to just hunt a few days and I can also see why safety concerns would bring forth comments like this.
I sincerely hope that my fears don't come true for ANYONE but there are simply so many variables that can change by the hour that are definitely not something to joke about.
Best of luck to everybody this coming year.

Headhunter

Think not. We sportsmen in ETN pay the same fees, taxes and the rest and the property belongs to every resident. Did nt think some equal opportunity would disenfranchise so many. I think more blinds should be available for 3,4 - 7 day hunts. But I'll take it and be happy.
everyone gets a trophy mentality is just wrong.

Smashdn

You know there are several wma's with first come first serve hunting right? You just show up and hunt where you want so long as you are not in a refuge area or within 200 yards of another party.