Drone Wars

M

Mike Belt

Last year I drove by a place that hosted a club that flew RC airplanes and drones. Some of them were really impressive and no telling how much money they had wrapped up in them. As I watched I thought how neat it would be if they could mount some type of small round guns on them and have dog fights where they'd actually be able to shoot each other down. I'd pay to see that, lol.

I guess this is a carryover from when I was a kid with a BB gun. I used to love building models; mostly airplanes and cars but sometimes ships. I couldn't wait to complete building them before launching them on the pond or creek and then trying to sink them with my BB gun. Same thing with the old cross member kites. I'd fly them up so high, tie them off, and then aim for the +.

S

Smo

Mike Belt":1up74l2x said:
Last year I drove by a place that hosted a club that flew RC airplanes and drones. Some of them were really impressive and no telling how much money they had wrapped up in them. As I watched I thought how neat it would be if they could mount some type of small round guns on them and have dog fights where they'd actually be able to shoot each other down. I'd pay to see that, lol.

Are you kidding me!

I wouldn’t want to be within a mile or so of a drone dogfight ..

You’ve seen how some of these people drive! LOL

Look out here comes one now !

jlanecr500

jlanecr500

Supporter
I used to fly RC combat and still have a combat plane. A 4' streamer is tied to the tail of the plane and you are done when your streamer is cut by another planes prop. Lots if fun and midair collisions.

U

Urban_Hunter

They actually do this. There are two methods. The classic is with a streamer attached and you try and cut your opponents streamer with your propeller.

The second method involves IR transmitters and receivers, and is more realistic because you can shoot what’s in front of you regardless of whether or not it is turning. The transmitter shoots a focused beam (think spotlight) and if it hits the other plane’s receiver it kills power to that plane’s motor for a couple seconds, indicating a kill

7mm08

7mm08

jlanecr500":2zr4x7sx said:
I used to fly RC combat and still have a combat plane. A 4' streamer is tied to the tail of the plane and you are done when your streamer is cut by another planes prop. Lots if fun and midair collisions.

We did the same but with cable control. Both guys stood in the middle and tried to chew up the other guys plane!