Down and dirty "haunt" gobble call

Ckirk4bama

I was in bass pro-shop in sevierville this past weekend and heard a turkey gobble. I thought it was an electronic call or something they where advertising until I ran into the rep for down and dirty outdoors. This thing was by far the most authentic sounding call that I've ever heard. If you guys get a minute check it out on you tube. If you have ever had any dealings with this call I'd love to hear yalls opinions on it is well.

Andy S.

I call it the "Aint" because I "Aint" ever heard anyone that could make it sound like the real deal, and that includes all of the Down & Dirty reps last year at the NWTF Convention blowing it non-stop hours on end.

Southern Sportsman

Bigg E said:
A mouth call is cheaper and easier to carry and can make a decent gobble with some practice.
x2. It doesn't sound quite as good as someone who is actually good with the haint (I haven't met anyone who is), but it is definitely a serviceable gobble and I already have dozens laying around.

woodsman87

Yall need to try "Kicking Bird" game calls' gobbler call. It is a slate call, but the peg is what makes it. It has a double peg, if you say, and you go back and forth really fast on the slate, sounds just like a gobble if you do it right and practice. I have gotten good with mine.
I heard a gobble at the convention in nashville several years ago, I expected it to be an electronic call or a tv show turned up real loud. When I got there I saw this guy using a funny looking slate call. I bought it for ten dollars. I have hunted with it for 5 or 6 seasons, and it sounds just like a gobble if you master it.

http://kickingbirds.com/html/products.html

If you look through the product list, it will have what is called the "Double Slate Call." That is the call I am talking about. It is only $15.00

It sounds 10x better than them gobbler shakers, and the haints, and regular diaghrams. The only one close to it IMO is a tube call gobble. But I still like my kicking bird better.

Andy S.

woodsman87 said:
I have gotten good with mine.
If you have time, are up for it and know how to upload it, post up a video on YouTube of you imitating a gobble with it. If not, no biggie, but I'd like to hear it in action, preferably outside and not indoors.

DaltonsDad

The Haint is an awesome call, especialy now while the birds are still trying to figure out whos the boss. These call are worth every penny. They work also great for locating birds but you can use them just by there selfs, NWTF even endorses the call. Go to thier web page and check it out. Mark Coin and Jody Roberts will do all they can to help. We picked them up as sponsors for our show this year and I cant tell you happy I was to get them. The haint does take alot of practice but when you get it down look its awesome. Thier diaphrams are second to none there custom by Eddie Salter! And know Im not just saying this because they sponsor us Im telling you this because I believe and love the Whole Down N Dirty line. Check out there fb page and tell them Don sent you from Sudden Impact. they have some great call give aways. Thier giving away some money this year for your photos sent in featureing there logo or product. not sure of all the details.

Andy S.

DaltonsDad said:
The Haint is an awesome call...
I have seen it in person more times than I care to remember and I have watched numerous YouTube videos, yet I am still searching to find one example of someone running it where it sounds like a real live gobbler. If you know of an online source that shows this, post up the link so I can take a look and listen.

woodsman87

Andy S. said:
woodsman87 said:
I have gotten good with mine.
If you have time, are up for it and know how to upload it, post up a video on YouTube of you imitating a gobble with it. If not, no biggie, but I'd like to hear it in action, preferably outside and not indoors.

I don't know how to do you tube stuff like that, but I will try to do it soon and show you. It is pretty easy, I can try to explain it on here. Just hold the double sided striker on the call pretty firmly, and move it rapidly across the call from corner to corner. It this makes any sense, that is how you do it.

Andy S.

10-4...just wondering how it worked and more importantly how it sounded as I have never seen that exact approach to imitating a gobble in the woods. Thanks for sharing your idea on here.

woodsman87

Andy S. said:
10-4...just wondering how it worked and more importantly how it sounded as I have never seen that exact approach to imitating a gobble in the woods. Thanks for sharing your idea on here.

I'm not going to make you a promise or guarnantee, because I wouldn't want you to be disappointed in me, and I didn't know whether it would be called as me advertising over this sight or not, so I will just give you my honest opinion. It sounds more like a gobble than any call I have ever heard.

woodsman87

One reason I got so good with it because the dude that made them is the one that I bought it from first hand, so of course he taught me how to do it. I do not know if you order them or anything if it comes with directions or a video or what.

AT Hiker

As any one had any success using a "gobbler" call? If so, I would like to hear a brief scenario.

I have made a few gobbles with my mouth call or box call, but only when I am desperate to get to one shock gobble. I thought about it with henned up birds, but I usually just make a point of where these birds are located and go back to hunt them later in the day or another day.

Of course hunting public land I dont think I would ever use one for obvious reasons. And that is where I seem to have the most problems with birds.

Southern Sportsman

There have been two different times that I KNOW I gobbled in turkeys.

The first:
Hunting in a somewhat thick swampy area, the only turkey I heard gobble that morning gobbled right at flydown time a pretty good ways off. I went to him and when I got close I could tell he was already on the ground. He would answer me every time I called so it was easy to keep up with him and I got to within 150 yards before I ran out of dry ground. There was apparently a high spot out in the woods that he flew down too, but there was nothing between us but thick viney stuff and water, and no way to get any closer. It was a terrible setup, but he was gobbling pretty steady and I didn't have a better option. He stood in the exact same spot and gobbled at me for nearly an hour but wouldn't budge. I tried everything I could think of: walking back and forth while calling, fighting purr, scratching leaves, silence. He would gobble but wouldn't budge. I was ready to leave him on his god forsaken island and search elsewhere, but before I did I cut at him and when he gobbled I gobbled back on a diaphragm. He double gobbled instantly. I sat down quietly waited. About five minutes passed where gobbled on his own several times, and then he quit. Another few minutes passed and I heard flapping, then he landed right in front of me and started craning his neck looking around. It caught me off guard but fortunately he stepped behind a big tree and I got my gun up and killed him the second he stepped out.

The Second:
Me and a buddy walking down a logging road mid-morning and we struck a turkey up ahead of us. There was a bend in the road which we couldn't see around and we sat up where if he came down the road to us, we could kill him when he rounded the point. I put my buddy in front and I sat behind him about 30 yards. Called softly and the turkey answered about 100-150 yards away. Every so often we would hear hens yelping with him and he would gobble, and occasionally he would gobble at my calling. 30 minutes of this and it became clear that he had hens with him and wasn't moving. Remembering the events of the above story, I thought I would give it a try. I call loudly and then gobbled on a mouth call (as if I was answering my on call). He gobbled back, and literally 1 minute later the bird came trotting around the bend in the road with his head low -- exactly like you see them do coming across a field to a strutter decoy on TV.

I haven't kept a record of all the hung up turkeys I've gobbled at since the first time it worked, but I'd say my success rate is something like 2 for 30. Which is enough for me to believe in it.

Boll Weevil

In the end I actually missed the bird so ultimate success escaped me on this hunt but I did call a tom to the gun at the end of shooting time years ago. It was in MO where you have to quit at 1p and I was battling the clock as much as anything. I will be the first to admit that my gobbling with a diaphragm sounds like total crap...halfway between a dog barking and a pileated woodpecker. Interestingly enough, it also sounds a lot like a jake who hasn't quite gotten the gobbling thing down yet and in this case it was good enough.

With a few minutes I left I went to gobbling in pure desperation at a bird that had hung up behind some buckbrush, well out of range, and was taking his sweet time breaking clear and coming closer. I honestly believe that it was the crappy jake gobbling that encouraged him to finally he pop into the open in a half strut ready to kick some tail. I totally rushed the shot (dang 1p shooting time) and that was it...gone in a flash. Totally blew it.

I actually chalked that hunt up as mostly successful; it's as close to catch and release hunting as I'll ever get!

AT Hiker

Thanks! I didnt imply that I did not believe, just never heard of anyone using it when I thought it was actually needed.

I like how you hen called and then answered yourself, I have done that before in a different manner....basically to get them to shock gobble. Basically I did lots of loud cutts then gobbled.

BHC

It sounds awesome up close and at a distance. Nothing on the market compares( tube call, shaker, diaphram, shaker, hale fire, or thunder gobble)... It is on a whole new level I bought one last yr at the NWTF convention and had more fun calling w it last yr than anything! Called in one gobbler w it, but I probably got 200 gobbles just responding to that one call. When nothing would get them to talk it would! It's tough to master and even once you get it close it takes some perfecting. Right amount of air, back pressure and how quick to apply it.. It doesn't work with gloves...