• Help Support TNDeer:

Don’t mess with a momma cougar!!

Primary

Primary

TNDeer Assistant
Here are some related products that TNDeer members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TNDeer’s partner,Primary, where you can find links to TNDeer discussions about these products.

Nimrod777

Supporter
Yeah, imagining myself in that situation is awfully chilling. I couldn't for the life of me figure out why he was walking over so much rock and not flinging anything

BMan

Running through a known mountain lion area.

Carries his cell phone.

Does not carry a weapon.

He needs to reassess what he carries with him when he runs...

On another note... one of the Channel 2 talking heads this morning said the cougar was probably intimidated by him holding his phone out toward the cat. Ahhhhhh....... no.

Stykbow

Saw this on the news this morning. That cat didn’t want to hurt him. She just wanted him away from her babies. Would’ve scared the crap outta me too, but I’d have been slinging rocks way before they did.

If you’re going to be stupid, you’d better be tough!

gtk

Administrator
Staff member
Just "thinking out loud" but as close as momma cougar was to him, if he had bent/squatted down to get a rock she may have seen that split second as her chance to get him when he was vulnerable ! I dont go to the mountains at all without a pistol, bear spray, or both.

Hunter 257W

I bet he'd have paid $10,000 to have a short barreled 12 gauge pump replace that cell phone at the moment. Hard for me to believe that was just a mama acting that way because of cubs being nearby. All the female animals with young I've ever seen won't stray far at all from their young once the intruder has been driven away. This cat must have followed him at least half a mile.

Agree with GTK about throwing a rock. Stooping over and suddenly appearing smaller and taking his eyes off the cat even for an instant could have triggered a real charge.

MUP

Supporter
BMan":2oq9fx9i said:

Carries his cell phone.

Does not carry a weapon.

On another note... one of the Channel 2 talking heads this morning said the cougar was probably intimidated by him holding his phone out toward the cat. Ahhhhhh....... no.

It does make one wonder what kind of person lives in such a place(any place actually), and doesn't at least carry some sort of firearm for protection, doesn't it? Next thing you know he'll be in an interview where he "doesn't blame the cat" and "says he'll continue to run in the area". :|

7mm08

MUP":2spn9k1c said:
BMan":2spn9k1c said:

Carries his cell phone.

Does not carry a weapon.

It does make one wonder what kind of person lives in such a place(any place actually), and doesn't at least carry some sort of firearm for protection, doesn't it? Next thing you know he'll be in an interview where he "doesn't blame the cat" and "says he'll continue to run in the area". :|

At some point I thought he said..... “ me without my pistol “

cbhunter

Supporter
That made the hair on the back of my neck stand up just by watching it! If he had tripped while walking, it might have been the end of him.

gtk

Administrator
Staff member
MUP":qj0khyv8 said:
BMan":qj0khyv8 said:

Carries his cell phone.

Does not carry a weapon.

He shows what type person/how smart he is at the very begining of the video.
1. He is in mountain lion territory w/out a weapon
2. He see's baby mountain lions in distance and immediately gets phone out to film
4. He walks TOWARDS baby mountain lions (thinking "oh how cute") so he can get a film clip to "go viral"

So no one should not be surprised when momma mountain lion expresses her disappointment at jogger encroaching on her cubs

However, i do think he handled himself pretty well considering the first few mistakes that were made. I can guarantee you my shrieks and hollers would not have been manly sounding.

Bambi Buster

rem270":11n887vt said:
7mm08":11n887vt said:
rem270":11n887vt said:
I got attached by a cougar once. We've been married 5 years now.

Let hope you “ attached “ while you were “attacked“

In before BAMBI BUSTER! Hahahaha!
Bahahaha I fixed it! That was a close one before he caught me :D

Drat! That's what I get for sleeping in. :cool:

BMan

Stykbow":2lto4hoo said:
Saw this on the news this morning. That cat didn’t want to hurt him. She just wanted him away from her babies. Would’ve scared the crap outta me too, but I’d have been slinging rocks way before they did.

Had it been me, the 2nd time she did that false charge, you'd have heard "Pow! Pow! Pow! Pow! Pow!" on the cell phone.

Stykbow

BMan":3s1qoe1e said:
Stykbow":3s1qoe1e said:

Had it been me, the 2nd time she did that false charge, you'd have heard "Pow! Pow! Pow! Pow! Pow!" on the cell phone.
I can understand that.

Latest posts