Domestic violence and traditional muzzleloaders

Charger

Asking for a coworker.
He picked up a domestic violence charge back in 1998.
I told him that he can use a traditional muzzleloader that uses number 11 or Musket caps.
They are considered antique firearms
According to Tennessee state law that a traditional muzzleloader using number 11 or Musket capis is not considered a firearm unless it uses 209 primers.
He wants to hunt but if he gets stop he doesn't want to get in trouble. Found this on page 2 ATF web site.
.https://www.atf.gov/file/56421/download

Safari Hunt

TWRA officers have the same info and arrest powers as any other LEO plus they are the only ones, with federal agents, in TN to enforce the federal game laws as migratory birds, etc. Best call the BATFE for this if they don't have the answer.
Charger, you are most welcome. Good and safe hunting!

Weegee

So, there's two different rulebooks you'll have to check: The federal code, and the Tennessee code. When it comes to who is and isn't allowed to possess guns, they mostly line up in such a way that if you're in violation of one you're in violation of another. Not trying to split hairs, but I'm assuming he was convicted of domestic assault, not just charged?

This is straight out of the Tennessee Code Annotated 39-11-106:

(1) "Antique firearm" means:
(A) Any firearm, including any firearm with a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system, manufactured in or before the year 1898;
(B) Any replica of any firearm described in subdivision (a)(1)(A) if such replica:
(i) Is not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition; or
(ii) Uses rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition which is no longer manufactured in the United States and which is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade; or
(C) Any muzzle loading rifle, muzzle loading shotgun, or muzzle loading pistol, which is designed to use black powder, or a black powder substitute, and which cannot use fixed ammunition;

And it later states that an "antique firearm" isn't considered a "firearm." Doesn't appear that the type of primer you use plays a significant role in whether or not it's considered an antique firearm.

PossumSlayer

2-Step Enabled
Asking for a coworker.
He picked up a domestic violence charge back in 1998.
I told him that he can use a traditional muzzleloader that uses number 11 or Musket caps.
They are considered antique firearms
According to Tennessee state law that a traditional muzzleloader using number 11 or Musket capis is not considered a firearm unless it uses 209 primers.
He wants to hunt but if he gets stop he doesn't want to get in trouble. Found this on page 2 ATF web site.
.https://www.atf.gov/file/56421/download
Me personally, I wouldn't help him.

1jamey

Does he currently bowhunt, thought about a xbow? I will not judge him for anything, that's not my place. I also don't know the laws or the restrictions that he has so if he wants it then my advice would be to make absolutely positive it's ok for him to have it whether a Ag or judge says so. He does not want to get caught with it and not suppose to have it.
Can he get the charge expunged? If he hasn't been in trouble before and hasn't since then it should be a possibility.

Biggun4214

Contact the local DA, he would be the one prosecuting the case. At one time it was the opinion of the State Attorney General that felons could not possess a firearm muzzleloader included in Tennessee. Domestic violence would probably be the same.

Latest posts