Dogs chasing deer

rem270

I don't have but the occasional pic of a dog/dogs on my place so I'm lucky there. Even if it got worse it would be real hard for me to shoot a dog. The dogs are just doing what their instinct is. The owners are the ones that need pistol whipped and a good beat down. Maybe catch them and take them to the pound and leave the person a note saying where you took them. After a few times of that I would get tired of it and keep them on my place.

Crappieaddict

I don't have but the occasional pic of a dog/dogs on my place so I'm lucky there. Even if it got worse it would be real hard for me to shoot a dog. The dogs are just doing what their instinct is. The owners are the ones that need pistol whipped and a good beat down. Maybe catch them and take them to the pound and leave the person a note saying where you took them. After a few times of that I would get tired of it and keep them on my place.
Truth!

Mattt

I have a little piece of ground, and keep bunch of bird dogs. They like to run. And will run deer if I let them. I keep them up, fenced, and control their movements. No problems. Have some neighbors that care a little less. So if I see a dog once or twice a year I don't worry about it. If it's a habit of them running deer across my place then I'll shoot them. I don't like it but feel it's something I have to do. They end up fighting with my dogs, chasing calves etc. my wife and adopted child do t need to worry about getting torn up by some stray dog in our yard.
Also have trespassing coonhunter problems. Same thing once or twice a year not a problem. Repeat offender it's getting handled.

Huntaholic

SCN should be a little more detailed in his explanations, as opposed to just saying "no". Unless the laws have changed, Im going to tell you what I know. TN has a statewide "leash law", meaning that any "pet" should be under your control at all times. With that said, you cant legally just up and shoot somebodys dog because it chased a deer by your stand. You SHOULD be able to notify animal control and IF you can find the owner, get them to keep it under control or face fines and impoundment costs. The caveat emptor to this all though is IF it is a hunting dog, in legal pursuit of game, leash laws DO NOT apply. Dogs cant read and those coonhounds or bird dogs are just doing what they are bred to do legally. Here is the part where things get fuzzy. If my coon hound gets on your property and trees, I cant legally come get him. Law states that I must get your permission to retrieve my dog. If you decide not to grant it, we are at a standoff. I cant go get him, but YOU cant legally harm him. If you do, YOU are liable for the worth of that dog and it can be a very substantial amount, THOUSANDS of dollars. And YES, legal precedence has already been set in these cases.
My solution to this is that Im going to go get my dog. Call the law, show your ass, whatever you want to do, but my dog is coming home with me, end of story. It may cost me a trespassing fine but any coonhound worth owning is worth 10 times whatever a court fine might be. Im not going to carry a gun, Im not going to kill the coon, but I AM going to get my dog.
Unfortunately Ive ran into this very thing several times but every time Ivw had a dog "get out of pocket" and go ask the landowner about getting my dog, Ive been granted permission to retrieve them. Be respectful and ASK before going!
For those wondering where and how I get this info, I have been and am still currently the president of our local coon club and as such it has been my job to know and advise hunters of these things.
LOL I don't even own a coonhound anymore though, so I literally don't have a dog in this fight.

Teacher

2-Step Enabled
I know a guy that shoots literally every dog that he sees on his place.
He kills them then takes their collars off and hangs them on the owners mailbox.
He has also been known to mix hamburger meat and some chemical used in cotton production... think it started with a P, and leave it around and even drop balls of it off on the side of the road.
No way I could do that but it works for sure.

I bet the chemical is Temek. It will kill everything that feeds on an animal that has it in its system. Example-A dog eats hamburger meat treated with Temek and dies. Buzzard feeds on decaying dog and buzzard dies. Opossum feeds on dead buzzard and opossum dies. Coyote feeds on dead opossum and coyote dies..... on and on.

There is a game warden (Matt) on Aldeer that was exposed to Temek on a case he was investigating. He almost died before they got him to the hospital and were able to save him. There is a reason Temek is now banned. Bad stuff and just touching it allows it to enter the system of anything with contact to it.

DoubleRidge

Dogs chasing deer is absolutely frustrating.....to us as hunters anyway....deer deal with it all the time.

But using a chemical such as Temek to combat the problem is ridiculous.

Teacher..... appreciate you educating us on the effects of such chemicals.... disturbing that anyone would even consider such practices.

Reminds me of a story I heard first hand from a co-worker....topic was combating coyotes....his practice was too and I quote: "crush up broken light bulbs and put pieces of broken glass into a can of moist dogfood and place it out for coyotes to eat....glass gets it their gut and kills them" end quote.

I honestly wanted to throat chop the dude....so irresponsible...so inhumane.

Dogs chasing deer....you wanna shoot them....your call.....and burn the gun barrel off on the coyotes...cool....but poisoning whatever random animal that happens to come by is absolutely ridiculous......rant over.

larry ipock

Dogs chasing deer is absolutely frustrating.....to us as hunters anyway....deer deal with it all the time.

But using a chemical such as Temek to combat the problem is ridiculous.

Teacher..... appreciate you educating us on the effects of such chemicals.... disturbing that anyone would even consider such practices.

Reminds me of a story I heard first hand from a co-worker....topic was combating coyotes....his practice was too and I quote: "crush up broken light bulbs and put pieces of broken glass into a can of moist dogfood and place it out for coyotes to eat....glass gets it their gut and kills them" end quote.

I honestly wanted to throat chop the dude....so irresponsible...so inhumane.

Dogs chasing deer....you wanna shoot them....your call.....and burn the gun barrel off on the coyotes...cool....but poisoning whatever random animal that happens to come by is absolutely ridiculous......rant over.

Yes, not only that, but would kill anything else including pets. Been plagued by dogs all season. The era of letting pets and hunting dogs run free is over. Some owners just don't care.

CritterGitter

I ended a friendship over dogs , he told me he would hang huge treble hooks by paracord wrapped in hamburger meat to catch dogs. Most cruel thing id ever heard in my life. They jump to bite it and get snagged.

I have the occasional dog that wonders onto my property and I do what I can to make sure my Beagles are not a nuisance to others. If someone just decided to shoot my dog for wondering onto their property without giving me a chance to remedy the situation they would need to leave the country. My dogs are my family and would be defended with the same level of aggression. Wild dogs and (real) aggressive dogs get shot every time.

FTP

I have the occasional dog that wonders onto my property and I do what I can to make sure my Beagles are not a nuisance to others. If someone just decided to shoot my dog for wondering onto their property without giving me a chance to remedy the situation they would need to leave the country. My dogs are my family and would be defended with the same level of aggression. Wild dogs and (real) aggressive dogs get shot every time.
Some folks might think an unknown dog / dogs roaming through their deer property could be a wild dog.... it's all subjective.

Mattt

Not hard to tell. Not well fed, and movements are usually a little more 'feral'? Don't know how to explain it better than that. They'll basically act like coyotes. Sucks to have to deal with it I love dogs. But I'm responsible for my animals and their safety as well as my families. The strays have to go.i live in a deadend out from town and it must be a magnet for dropping off unwanted pets. Dogs and cats show up far too often to belong there.

Planking

Owners that are considerate and responsible are no problem at all. Its the bad apples that causes all the problems and it is an ongoing problem for me. They just don't care.

Outside of a lap dog i just don't want anything to do with them anymore. Had too many problems.

Latest posts