Does without fawns

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
I have a trail cam video from my front yard of a group of 5 does with no fawns. Two of these does were born last year, and it's obviously the family group that we've had hanging around. We have a couple of other does that we have on cam and have seen that have fawns, but not these. What's up?

BSK

Fawn mortality is normally very high. Most studies from 20-odd years ago found fawn survival rates in the 50% range. However, now that the Southeast is crawling with coyotes, most survival studies are only finding around 35% fawn survival. But I've seen areas with poor cover availability go much, much lower than that, and the primary cause is predation.

Pilchard

Extremely small sample size and certainly not the "wild" but on my place in Brentwood, we have gone 5 for 6 making it through the first year over the last 3 years. Each year the same doe has used my strip of woods as her sanctuary to raise "twins".

backyardtndeer

Could be the fawns are hiding out, or could be they have fallen prey to predation or other demise. With as bad as the flies have been this year, would imagine they are having a tough time.

deerfever

Been seeing and getting pictures of several fawns. I am guessing a good percentage do not survive however.

BSK

The vast majority of fawn mortality from all causes occurs within a fawn's first two weeks of life. That mortality can be from any number of causes, including predation, disease, low birth weight, malnutrition, abandonment, and accidents (car-deer collisions, falls, etc.). However, a slow mortality continues to exist from that point until the fawn is "recruited" into the adult population on their first birthday. Wildlife Managers watch the "fawn recruitment rate" very closely, as it tell him/her how many adult deer can be harvested during hunting season without reducing the total deer population (number of deer harvested doesn't exceed the number of fawns that will be recruited into the adult population the following spring).

In the past, the fawn recruitment rate was determined using hunter observations of adult doe numbers versus fawn numbers. But with the advent of the photo census technique, better fawn recruitment numbers can be generated from trail-camera data from open feeding areas like agricultural fields and food plots, during September and October. During these two months, most fawns are traveling with their mothers full time and are still small enough to easily differentiate from adult does.

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
I continue to see this family group of 5 does passing through without any sign of a fawn. We did have two single does, each with fawns, but I'm only seeing one single doe with a single fawn lately. We have a lot of sense cover next door, so not much more that I know to do for them. I'm just used to seeing more doe/fawn combos at this time of year

jlanecr500

Years ago, while on a hunting trip in Florida, I was talking with a seasoned hunter from south GA about fawn mortality and predation. He and the other members of a rather large lease, waged war on coyotes to find a dramatic reduction in fawn mortality. I won't go into his methods but apparently they were very effective.