Does anyone know Charles Allison from Cordova, TN?

Vermin93

He shot a turkey with the 2nd longest beard ever recorded by the NWTF.

Cody May, Texas Eastern, 2007: 22.5 inches
Charles Allison, Tennessee Eastern, 2009: 20 inches
Robin Shiver, Florida Osceola, 2008: 19.125 inches
Robert Tremblay, Virginia Eastern, 1998: 18.l25 inches
Cameron Richardson, Missouri Eastern, 2011: 17.9375 inches

I just noticed that it says "length is the total measurement of all beards". However, it does not say how many beards each of these turkeys had.

AT Hiker

I need to have some "officially" measured then, I called one up for a guy last year that had 5 beards...prob 16" total. I have seen some I think would go over 20" but not sure.

IMG_0396_zps8a7f4b45.jpg

Southern Sportsman

The length used for final scoring ((Beard length x 2) + (spur length x 10) + total weight) is the total of all the beards on multi-bearded birds, but that is not the length they use for "longest beard" record. If they did, it would be in the 60"+ range.

Vermin93

It says "Typical", so I'm assuming all those were single beards.

Charles Allison shot his turkey in Fayette, TN.

There are 2 Tennessee birds in the Top 15. The other was shot by Edward Landreth in McNairy, TN in 2001. It had a 17 inch beard.

Vermin93

AT Hiker said:
I need to have some "officially" measured then, I called one up for a guy last year that had 5 beards...prob 16" total. I have seen some I think would go over 20" but not sure.

AT - you should contact NWTF. NWTF Wild Turkey Records

You could possibly be sitting at #1 in Tennessee and in the top-5 in the US with that 5 bearded A-typical.

Here are the top 5 recorded beard lengths for A-typical birds in Tennessee. The current #1 is 14.4375" :

Longest Beard A-Typical in Tennessee, USA

1 JEFFERY A. ST CLAIR (M)
TN ( details) 14.4375" Apr 4, 1996
MARION, TN, USA M Firearm Eastern
Calls Used: Slate

2 STEPHEN MATLOCK (M)
TN ( details) 13.0000" May 1, 2007
HUMPHREYS, TN, USA M Firearm Eastern
Calls Used: M Diaphragm

3 TROY O'DANIEL (M)
TN ( details) 12.5000" May 7, 2001
HUMPHREYS, TN, USA M Firearm Eastern

4 DONALD MCDONALD (M)
TN ( details) 12.2500" Apr 6, 1998
COCKE, TN, USA M Firearm Eastern

5 BILLY JOE PERRY (M)
TN ( details) 12.0000" Apr 7, 2012
SUMNER, TN, USA M Firearm Eastern

AMANDA PHILLIPS (F)
TN ( details) 12.0000" May 8, 2006
OVERTON, TN, USA M Firearm Eastern

SHEHANE (M)
TN ( details) 12.0000" Apr 23, 2003
BEDFORD, TN, USA M Firearm Eastern

Here are the top 5 recorded beard lengths for A-typical birds in the US. The current #1 is 17.6250" :

Longest Beard A-Typical

1 STEVEN OVERTON (M)
AR ( details) 17.6250" Apr 10, 2000
SHARP, AR, USA M Firearm Eastern
Calls Used: Box, Slate

2 ROBERT FARRIS (M)
GA ( details) 17.2500" Mar 25, 2003
JONES, GA, USA M Firearm Eastern
Calls Used: Box, M Diaphragm

3 CHRISTOPHER GEBHARDT (M)
MO ( details) 16.7500" Apr 23, 2009
HOWARD, MO, USA M Firearm Eastern

4 JOE BACON (M)
IN ( details) 16.0000" May 11, 2002
SWITZERLAND, IN, USA M Firearm Eastern
Calls Used: Box, Slate

G. GALEN BRADDY (M)
NC ( details) 16.0000" May 4, 2006
PITT, NC, USA M Firearm Eastern

5 DAVID EDWARDS (M)
GA ( details) 15.0000" Mar 25, 2006
MONROE, GA, USA M Firearm Eastern
Calls Used: Other

BETH HUGHES (F)
KY ( details) 15.0000" Apr 25, 1998
CALDWELL, KY, USA M Firearm Eastern

Southern Sportsman

The NWTF records are cool to look at, but ultimately useless. Very few people actual register birds, and those that do arent always reliable. You have to be a NWTF member to register a bird, and I dont think there are official measurements taken. I think it just requires your word and a witness (who also must also be NWTF)

Vermin93

Southern Sportsman said:
The NWTF records are cool to look at, but ultimately useless. Very few people actual register birds, and those that do arent always reliable. You have to be a NWTF member to register a bird, and I dont think there are official measurements taken. I think it just requires your word and a witness (who also must also be NWTF)

It costs $15 per bird to register it. The hunter and any required witnesses must be NWTF members, so I can see why many birds would not be registered. So far 19,000 birds have been recorded.

*All Easterns, Rio Grandes, Merriam�s and Gould�s subspecies turkeys weighing more than 22 pounds, Florida subspecies over 20 pounds or Ocellated turkeys over 10 pounds must be weighed to the nearest ounce on scales inspected and certified as accurate for trade by the state department of agriculture. A weight coupon or signed document must be presented for proof and an additional witness also is required. Beards measuring more than 12 inches must have additional witnessing and the application must include a photograph showing measurement. Spurs measuring over 1.5 inches must have additional witnessing and applications must include photographs showing measurement. Please include a picture if your bird has multiple beards.

Andy S.

Southern Sportsman said:
Exactly

PalsPal

I'm sure no turkey hunter would ever fudge measurements to get his name in a "book" :D !

NWTF knows this; it's just another way of collecting some $$$.

Vermin93

PalsPal said:
I'm sure no turkey hunter would ever fudge measurements to get his name in a "book" :D !

NWTF knows this; it's just another way of collecting some $$$.

For lesser birds, yes. For better than average birds there is more effort and verification required, although cheating could certainly still be possible.

*All Easterns, Rio Grandes, Merriam�s and Gould�s subspecies turkeys weighing more than 22 pounds, Florida subspecies over 20 pounds or Ocellated turkeys over 10 pounds must be weighed to the nearest ounce on scales inspected and certified as accurate for trade by the state department of agriculture. A weight coupon or signed document must be presented for proof and an additional witness also is required. Beards measuring more than 12 inches must have additional witnessing and the application must include a photograph showing measurement. Spurs measuring over 1.5 inches must have additional witnessing and applications must include photographs showing measurement. Please include a picture if your bird has multiple beards.

AT Hiker

Vermin93 said:
AT - you should contact NWTF. NWTF Wild Turkey Records

You could possibly be sitting at #1 in Tennessee and in the top-5 in the US with that 5 bearded A-typical.

Here are the top 5 recorded beard lengths for A-typical birds in Tennessee. The current #1 is 14.4375" :

Longest Beard A-Typical in Tennessee, USA

1 JEFFERY A. ST CLAIR (M)
TN ( details) 14.4375" Apr 4, 1996
MARION, TN, USA M Firearm Eastern

I can for sure tell you I killed a three bearded bird at Ft Campbell one year that that would measure this at minimum.

It personally did not concern me what the beard measurements were until you posted this, I need to be a little more diligent now about this...but $15 a pop, that could add up quick.

Thanks for sharing the info!

Southern Sportsman

Even for multi bearded birds, the "longest beard" record is for a the longest single beard. If it was the total of all beards on multi, the record would be way north of 60". There was a 9 bearded turkey killed a Lincoln County several years ago that I'm pretty sure was registered that would far exceed 17.6 total inches. I know several people, including myself, who have killed multis with 18"+ of total beards.

Latest posts