• Help Support TNDeer:

Does Alabama have Mountain Lions?

tahtah

The recent thread about hunting a WMA in Alabama piqued my interest. I'm not familiar with hunting in Alabama at all, so I started looking for information and found the Alabama 2020-21 hunting regulations. I noticed they specifically address mountain lions. I bolded the specific text in excerpts below.

I know TN's regulation are simply, if there's no specified season, there is no season. Thus, by omission from the TN Hunting Guide, Mountain Lions, Chupacabra and Big Foot are illegal to hunt in TN. It looks like Alabama specifically calls out game animals that do not have a season.

Are there actually Mountain Lions in Alabama?

Excerpts from the Alabama Hunting Guide:
```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
(P) BEAR, MOUNTAIN LION AND RUFFED GROUSE No Open Season

220-2-.06 Game Animals Designated The following animals are hereby designated as game animals: Bear, Beaver, Coyote, Deer, Opossum, Eastern Cottontail and Swamp Rabbit, Raccoon, Squirrel, Nutria, Fox, Mountain Lion (Cougar), Groundhog, Bobcat, Red Wolf, Feral Swine (Wild Hog or Wild Pig), and Alligator.

CBU93

Supporter
I would say that the likely hood is rare, but at one time a possibility of a Florida Panther crossing statelines into South Alabama may have been the impetus for that reg???

Primary

Primary

TNDeer Assistant
Here are some related products that TNDeer members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TNDeer’s partner,Primary, where you can find links to TNDeer discussions about these products.

Dbllunger

A resident population? I would say absolutely not. Now, has one passed through the state in recent history? Possibly. They seem to have enormous ranges at times.

ps. Back in the early 80's I did run into a cougar down in Gulf Shores. Ya know, before the wife.
lady cougar GIF

backyardtndeer

Mountain Lion (Cougar), Groundhog, Bobcat, Red Wolf, Feral Swine (Wild Hog or Wild Pig), and Alligator.
Was told red wolves only existed in zoos.

With mountain lions being proven to have been seen in west and middle Tennessee, I see no reason why they couldn't move through northern Alabama.

Crosshairy

It looks like they just covered their bases by identifying it as a theoretically possible animal to have in the state, and then said "No Open Season" to make it clear that folks can't hunt them.

Honestly it's probably a good idea, because if they ever do re-establish a population they'll have to cross that bridge anyway. Plus, a lot of people don't seem to get the concept that, if it's not specifically allowed, then you can't hunt them.

Latest posts