Do you turkey hunt....

Coach

Private land or public land? My old farm in Pall Mall is loaded with turkeys so I've always had a good place to hunt...not only turkey but deer and small game. I'm curious if many of you hunt public land? Gotta be some obstacles involved with that....

LB FANATIC

Every year Coach. I try to hunt public land mostly the first week, trying to bag a 'fresh' bird before they get hammered. One year I had been working a bird for an hour or two. Coming in good, finally he got to killing range around a bush. Was waiting for him to clear, when he spooked up. Attempted to low crawl out the back of my blind to get an angle on him, When 2 yokels in a boat were creeping up attempting to kill him from the water, well within 20 yds of me. I know they saw my blind, they were simply being selfish and unsafe.

These same 2 were shooting prior to time (had to still be roosted) just upstream.

Though these last few years I have been blessed to get permission on some private land, there are obstacles with that as well. Families of owners, shared permission with others who have hunted there for years, clients, etc...

Owning your own would certainly be the way to go..this is my goal now

A

Anonymous

Grew up huntin public land turkeys and continue to till this day. Although I have access to several thousand acres of private land, I get more satisfaction out of killin well educated turkeys and all the obstacles that go with it. Although private land turkeys that get hunted hard can be very tough to kill, they will always be just some landowners "pets" to me :grin: Besides, if it weren't for these "pets", the tent blind and decoy companies would go broke and the bowhunters would be Sh#t out of luck :eek:

BigRod

Up into this year I always hunt private land, I have been blessed to have grown up in the the best Valley in Anderson county and know everyone.

This year, i have thought about heading up to Royal Blue, and some TVA land that is open to hunting around the house, that not alot of folks know about. However, I will stay away from point 19, in fear of being shot, or getting so pissed off I might be the one that ends up shooting someone.

WingNut

100% private, and 95% of the land we hunt we (my Dad and I) are the only hunters allowed. I am VERY fortunate. I have all the respect in the world for hunters who kill birds on public land. To be honest I don't think I could do it. I am spoiled rotten when it comes to the areas I can hunt.

Latest posts