Do You Hunt Deer With a Small Caliber Centerfire?

jmf

A 243 is a great gun. I have killed lots of deer with mine. Its all about shot placement and bullet choice. I will only shoot the winchester 100 grain soft point. I have tried all kinds of ammo and this has been the best set up for my gun. I have shot deer from 10 yards to 500 yards. I've never had a deer I shot with this combination run more than 40 yards. More than half were dropped in their tracks. The guys with the 7mm and 300s will tell you all day long a 243 is not enough gun. Maybe not for an elephant but a deer yes.

AllOutdoors

m411b said:
AllOutdoors said:
You should research a little more. ;)

The bullet caliber I refer to is the .223 variety. Not any bigger, and I don't need to do any more research. If YOU call Sierra you'll find that the SP GK bullet actually has a thicker jacket than the HP GK. Also, the HP GK bullet offered in the .223 is classified as a varmint bullet, and yes, I'm talking about the HP GK, not the HP Varminter.

The Sierra GK HP has a thicker jacket ONLY in the .30 cal line.

So really, YOU should research a little more! ;)

As far as the Berger VLD's, you are correct. I thought I read on their site that their hunting bullet line was bonded. I was wrong. They're designed to frag.
After the bullet starts to expand it will shed 40% to 85% of its weight as shrapnel into the surrounding tissue (internal organ). The combination between the shrapnel and the hydrostatic shock produces a massive wound cavity within the vital area (internal organs) that will be 13� to 15� long.

When I said the Gameking HP has a thicker jacket, I was refering to the post in which I quoted. The one about 7mm bullets. Not 223.As far as the 30cal HP GameKing being the only one with a thicker jacket, well I can see you didn't do your research. :D

The 257. 120gr gameking HPBT
The 264. 130gr Gameking HPBT
The 277. 140gr GameKing HPBT
The 284. 140gr GameKing HPBT
The 284. 160gr GameKing HPBT
The 308. 165gr GameKing HPBT

are all considered to have thicker jackets or be tougher according to Sierra.

Barnes Ridge Rambler

Ive killed em with my .243, .308, and 7 mag. If you use varmint rounds out of any of these then youre asking for a wounded deer. Ive seen them drop with my .243 and ive seen em run off after gettin drilled with a 7 mag. Its a game of bullet selection, shot placement, and angles. Period. And ive never lost a deer with any of them.

mr.big

I have learned through raising a couple kids and taking a few more that I would rather have a 223 that they can shoot accurately and not be afraid of over any other caliber made,,

the 65 gr Sierra SBT Game King loaded to 2900 fps will flatten a whitetail,,

there is no replacement for shot placement,,just because you can see a deer does not mean you have to shoot regardless of angle or absence of a decent rest to shoot from,,

mr.big

AllOutdoors said:
m411b said:
AllOutdoors said:
You should research a little more. ;)

The bullet caliber I refer to is the .223 variety. Not any bigger, and I don't need to do any more research. If YOU call Sierra you'll find that the SP GK bullet actually has a thicker jacket than the HP GK. Also, the HP GK bullet offered in the .223 is classified as a varmint bullet, and yes, I'm talking about the HP GK, not the HP Varminter.

The Sierra GK HP has a thicker jacket ONLY in the .30 cal line.

So really, YOU should research a little more! ;)

As far as the Berger VLD's, you are correct. I thought I read on their site that their hunting bullet line was bonded. I was wrong. They're designed to frag.
After the bullet starts to expand it will shed 40% to 85% of its weight as shrapnel into the surrounding tissue (internal organ). The combination between the shrapnel and the hydrostatic shock produces a massive wound cavity within the vital area (internal organs) that will be 13� to 15� long.

When I said the Gameking HP has a thicker jacket, I was refering to the post in which I quoted. The one about 7mm bullets. Not 223.As far as the 30cal HP GameKing being the only one with a thicker jacket, well I can see you didn't do your research. :D

The 257. 120gr gameking HPBT
The 264. 130gr Gameking HPBT
The 277. 140gr GameKing HPBT
The 284. 140gr GameKing HPBT
The 284. 160gr GameKing HPBT
The 308. 165gr GameKing HPBT

are all considered to have thicker jackets or be tougher according to Sierra.

the 6mm 85 gr BTHP is the same bullet design,and is not a varmint bullet,

eightpointer

mr.big said:
I have learned through raising a couple kids and taking a few more that I would rather have a 223 that they can shoot accurately and not be afraid of over any other caliber made,,

the 65 gr Sierra SBT Game King loaded to 2900 fps will flatten a whitetail,,

there is no replacement for shot placement,,just because you can see a deer does not mean you have to shoot regardless of angle or absence of a decent rest to shoot from,,

Very accurate post.

Viper (tp)

Plain and simple SHOT PLACEMENT means everythang on the smaller calibers. With that said, I have a 223, that I don't care to hunt deer with,JMD. Tho I have shot plenty over the years with a 243, with a 100 grain bullet, have shot several with 80 grain bullets in open fields.

My kids, and nephews have shot several deer with this same 243 over the years.

If you hone in on your skills the 243 will take care of business, anythang smaller than that, I'm just not interested.JMO

I shoot a model 700 30-06 98.9% of the time when I'm deer hunting, just my preference. I just really think that in wooded areas a 30 cal or bigger would do you a bether job.JMO

Latest posts