Do you guys hide your ATVs when hunting?

rifle02

I always hacked out a parking spot in the privet that seems to grow on field edges. I would put my ATV in it and it seemed to work pretty well. When I was too lazy to park it in that spot I noticed deer did not react to an ATV that they could see. This year I began using a Polaris Ranger. Deer do not like it one bit. I've had several see it when walking towards the edge of the field, make a U-turn and leave. Opening day of firearms season I parked it on a bulldozer road that is a ledge. One small buck who was walking on the Road stopped, stared and went out of his way to avoid it. My old ATV was camo and the new ranger is gray and black. Maybe thats it!

Flint

20221122_165654.jpg
My Polaris doesn't spook them unless it's moving. Had a spike walk by at about 20 feet.

Fearless

Hinged cut some small trees about ten yards behind stand. Park and climb tree. have killed several deer from that stand.

Jack Reed

I've been setting up deer stand sites this past week, and was wondering if the ones that I'm going to have to ride my ATV to should have a designated site for parking/hiding my ATV. If so, I'll have to chop a little brush down to make a parking spot. I don't want it to be close enough to my stand site to spook the deer, so i was thinking maybe 400 yards or so away (downwind) would be enough distance.
Any of you guys do this?
Our lease consist of 3500 acres for 11 people. We have around 15 box blinds and 30 ladder stands. I'm riding my side by side to an area far enough away from my stand and walking the rest. Most important thing is get your ars in the woods. We all know that hunting is about scent,wind direction and ALOT OF LUCK. You can't kill them from the couch all though some of our box blinds do have reclining chairs.
1669661902318.png

Bgoodman30

I debate this in my head a lot. Honestly I am thinking its better to bump them if you have to with ATV or lights.. When you walk long distances you will probably sweat, leave ground scent and getting seen is way worse..

The biggest deer killed on our lease was killed by my buddy who drove his truck in and parked about 150 yards from the stand.

Remington700

I think a lot of it has to do with what they become accustom with. If you drive them regularly and the deer are use to them, they do not mind them. The land I hunt we only go on it in hunting season. If you drive one you will see zero deer. Walk in and the deer are everywhere.

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
I work a farm where they are so accustomed to me and my sxs that I can't hunt it…
They will stand around and pretty much ignore me unless I do something I don't normally do then they take note and begin to drift away.
Takes all the fun outta the hunt. I refer to them as livestock and threaten to include them in my ag census.

BullDawg Bill

I am handicapped so I can't walk very far. I have killed quite a few deer over the years from a box blind with my ATV/UTV/Golf Cart (whichever I was driving at the time) parked right behind the box. The deer didn't seem to notice. I've also parked my dark red Jeep between trees and killed 2 or 3 deer out the windows - the seat beats any stand/blind seat I've ever sat in, and apparently like orange red doesn't stand out to deer. The only downside was no shots out the front, and hard to transition from one side to the other, I took two rifles and put one slightly out each side window. Bottom line, I think scent and movement scare deer a lot more than something parked near a stand.

rodeojoe

I am handicapped so I can't walk very far. I have killed quite a few deer over the years from a box blind with my ATV/UTV/Golf Cart (whichever I was driving at the time) parked right behind the box. The deer didn't seem to notice. I've also parked my dark red Jeep between trees and killed 2 or 3 deer out the windows - the seat beats any stand/blind seat I've ever sat in, and apparently like orange red doesn't stand out to deer. The only downside was no shots out the front, and hard to transition from one side to the other, I took two rifles and put one slightly out each side window. Bottom line, I think scent and movement scare deer a lot more than something parked near a stand.

If you had only bought the model jeep that does have the flip down front window, you would have had it made! ;)

BullDawg Bill

If you had only bought the model jeep that does have the flip down front window, you would have had it made! ;)
Too true, although I suspect that would also allow a lot more scent to escape. I also hunt from my golf cart and it does have a fold down front window, but the seat isn't nearly as comfortable. Next year I'm going to park the Jeep in a copse of trees in early fall and leave it there, treat it like a box blind, the deer will be used to seeing it in that spot, although that doesn't seem to matter. I was on a quota hunt once and my wife decided to sit in the Jeep and read while I hunted, and she saw more deer than I did. Unfortunately, she didn't have a quota permit. :-(

Latest posts