Do the LITTLE things matter?

savageman

If I'm just doing a half day hunt, I don't take a backpack or fannnypack. No snacks, no water. I eat an apple during the drive to the hunting spot. The less junk I carry, the more I can concentrate on hunting. If it won't fit in my pocket, it don't go. I go in before daylight and stay till around 12 or 1:00.

ImThere

savageman":1100pk3y said:
If I'm just doing a half day hunt, I don't take a backpack or fannnypack. No snacks, no water. I eat an apple during the drive to the hunting spot. The less junk I carry, the more I can concentrate on hunting. If it won't fit in my pocket, it don't go. I go in before daylight and stay till around 12 or 1:00.
I would be peed off if I forgot my water and snack would definitely need a snickers to get over that one. [emoji2]

TheLBLman

Another "little trick":

I go in (once near a stand site) wearing some thin gloves that are as scent-free as possible. Typically don't put these on until I'm near the stand location. If it's cold, I'm wearing another different pair even sooner, but I change into some "new" ones once near the stand site.

These are typically not scent-lock type gloves, just relatively inexpensive thin polyester or sometimes rubber gloves I change into to reduce human scent, and then to wear while climbing.

THEN, after I'm all settled in the stand, and almost "ready", those gloves go back into the ziplock bag from where they came, and I put on a new, fresh pair (which are in a different ziplock bag). This is just part of an effort to reduce the human scent as much as reasonably possible. The actual "hunting" gloves are commonly a thin scent-lock type glove, only worn on stand.

Bottom line:

In warmer weather, I'm usually carrying two pair of thin gloves, each pair in it's own ziplock bag. In colder weather, I'm carrying three pair, one for walking, one for near the stand, one for the actual hunting. It's really not that much trouble. I believe it's worth the effort. I do similarly with headgear in colder weather, changing the base headgear once on stand, assuming the one I walked in wearing has much more human scent embedded.

Don't know what I did before ziplock bags were invented. :tu:

Latest posts