Do Deer See....

Mike Belt

I have lifelines for my hang on stands. They have fluorescent stripes on them so you can see them by flashlight going to the stand in darkness. Can deer see fluorescent green?

fairchaser

Mike Belt":2bb6nu7j said:
I have lifelines for my hang on stands. They have fluorescent stripes on them so you can see them by flashlight going to the stand in darkness. Can deer see fluorescent green?

I put flourescent tape on my climber so I can see it in the dark as well as others who may want to hunt my spots. I think deer can see it better than we do as they have night vision with reflective retinas. I don't think it alarms them as much as the scent we leave behind. However I try not to set up until I hunt and if I leave a stand it's only to hunt the next morning. That's falls into the category of getting defeated before you start. But sometimes you just have to.

Rakkin6

Actually I just read an article on this, and if I understood the science correctly it will show up as a grey, like our blaze orange during the day. Has far as them seeing it at night the fluorescent will not shine any brighter to the deer at night then it would to us. It needs to be light activated to actually produce that glow. Like I said I could have misunderstood the article I read so feel free to correct me if I am wrong (won't be the first time LOL).

catman529

I've had plenty of deer not even see my 500 square inches of blaze orange, so I wouldn't worry about a rope

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mr_TTT2

They go off movement more than any colors. Accidentally moved a tree branch (no leafs) and had deer stop in tracks, 40 yards away. Stood 10 foot from deer and stayed very still, it looked in my area for 2 minutes before walking off slowly. Just avoid blue and yellow colors.

losthunter

Don't over think deer hunting, the best deer blind is a rusted out shelll of a car with working lights and horn, they will run to it everytime.lol. when I first started about 5 years ago I took every gadget made for deer hunting. Decided last year to forget all that stuff and just go and not worry about anything, I pee, smoke and poop in the woods, killed 5 last year. Just go hunt, don't worry about stuff. Remember it's called hunting, not attracting. Go find the deer and kill it. Lol

fairchaser

You can get away with murder on young deer but try these things on a mature doe or old buck and it's a different animal. Anything in their environment that is different or stands out will be noticed. They have shown videos of how deer react to a game camera that's empty and camouflaged. They clearly notice it and the older animals run from it. Anything in their line of sight especially gets noticed.

MUP

fairchaser":o07844gd said:
You can get away with murder on young deer but try these things on a mature doe or old buck and it's a different animal. Anything in their environment that is different or stands out will be noticed. They have shown videos of how deer react to a game camera that's empty and camouflaged. They clearly notice it and the older animals run from it. Anything in their line of sight especially gets noticed.

I've experienced the game camera "effect" firsthand. Get one pic of a mature buck,and then the next 2 burst shots are empty, never see him again on that cam. That's not to say he's gone from the entire area, but they do avoid that particular location after they find it. JME

eta- I have "adjusted" my tactics since, and have gotten older bucks and does repeatedly now tho. ;)

fairchaser

MUP":qe6rhihr said:
fairchaser":qe6rhihr said:

I've experienced the game camera "effect" firsthand. Get one pic of a mature buck,and then the next 2 burst shots are empty, never see him again on that cam. That's not to say he's gone from the entire area, but they do avoid that particular location after they find it. JME

eta- I have "adjusted" my tactics since, and have gotten older bucks and does repeatedly now tho. ;)

Mup, I also get better results when I place the camera at about 7-8 feet and angle it down. It at least gets it out of line of sight. I've also noticed that the older deer will avoid the camera as the rut approaches especially after the bucks shed their velvet.

Latest posts