DIY Processing - Trimming for grind

DntBrnDPig

I've been self processing for several years now. I always feel guilty about the amount of meat I discard because the time trimming to the amount of clean meat doesn't seem... worth it. Do yall trim meat of all fat and silver skin before grinding? All the meat I vacuum seal or run through my grinder has very little to none on it. Which means I have a lot in my discard pile.

I've been thinking about cooking the discard pile for dog food. Anyone do that?

Omega

I remove as much as I can without been too OCD about it.
P8bCy8W.jpg

But at the end of the day I have a bunch that I could have done better on. I used to give the long bones to my dogs until they started leaving them in my mowers path, now I just discard them.
PLEeTly.jpg

jetwrnch

My dogs eat it raw. Never seen a dog start a fire, so figured raw is best. Anything I don't eat gets ground for dog food. Heart, liver, silver skin, whatever. I don't get too ocd about the silver skin with a fine grind for burger, summer sausage, etc. I just try to mix the leg muscles in with the good meat so it's not concentrated in one package. I eat hotdogs and bologna, so silver skin shouldn't kill me.

Lost Lake

I'm in the same boat. Between my daughter and I, we processed five deer. After I weighed the meat, I think I had the equivalent of four deer that a professional would have processed for us.

But, I didn't want to take a chance on grinding undesirable parts. This year I'm gonna trim a little closer and do a little better.

catman529

Big bite grinder eats all the silver skin like it's nothing. I trim off the thickest pieces of silver skin and fat, and don't worry about the rest. Use the fine grind plate and it shreds it all up.

You'd be surprised how much good ground meat can come off a shoulder that was shot with a rifle. Trim away the bloody parts around the wound channel, cut off the meat in chunks and cube it up for the grinder. Paper towel will help clean up clotted blood on the meat. Neck meat is good for that as well, just remove the wind pipe and some of the thicker sinew.

Pioneer1789

Big bite grinder eats all the silver skin like it's nothing. I trim off the thickest pieces of silver skin and fat, and don't worry about the rest. Use the fine grind plate and it shreds it all up.

You'd be surprised how much good ground meat can come off a shoulder that was shot with a rifle. Trim away the bloody parts around the wound channel, cut off the meat in chunks and cube it up for the grinder. Paper towel will help clean up clotted blood on the meat. Neck meat is good for that as well, just remove the wind pipe and some of the thicker sinew.I
Exactly. I make some really tender ground venison out of shank, neck, and rib meat. Keep it near freezing while grinding. Makes a world of difference.

catman529

Exactly. I make some really tender ground venison out of shank, neck, and rib meat. Keep it near freezing while grinding. Makes a world of difference.
I've never frozen it for the grinder, it usually goes in straight off the deer or after aging in the fridge for a while. Comes out great

Pioneer1789

I've never frozen it for the grinder, it usually goes in straight off the deer or after aging in the fridge for a while. Comes out great.
My fridge is set on kill. When I pull it out ready to grind, It's not frozen, but close. Probably mid 30s.

Tn_Va_Hunter

I trim off what I can. Usually just make jerky for my household except for the back straps. Some silver skin won't hurt anything as well as some fattier parts and pieces. The grinder works well mixing it in. I age mine in a cooler and leave the drain hole open. Usually 7-10 days. Does make it taste better in my opinion.

catman529

If you have no tried partially freezing the meat and grinder head then youll be amazed how much better it grinds. Probably a little more food safe too.
How so? My grinder eats it as fast as I can feed it. End result is always good, how does partially frozen meat affect it? I've never tried it

AT Hiker

How so? My grinder eats it as fast as I can feed it. End result is always good, how does partially frozen meat affect it? I've never tried it
Ive noticed that warm meat can get mush where super cold to almost frozen comes out with just a better texture, IMO.
I once read the directions on my grinder and it suggested doing this, lol. Directions sometimes pay off.

Latest posts