Food Plots Disc vs tiller

BSK

I'm still trying to decide what I'm going to try and use to break the soil before I use the tiller. I'm seriously considering just a 1 or 2 bottom plow. That would at least roll the soil over and make it softer for the tiller.

JCDEERMAN

I'm still trying to decide what I'm going to try and use to break the soil before I use the tiller. I'm seriously considering just a 1 or 2 bottom plow. That would at least roll the soil over and make it softer for the tiller.
Sounds like a good plan. I think we've settled on a rock rake. It should remove all the sizable rocks, most of the woody debris, but also should help level and break the soil. I think we'll also be able to use it to rake all our roads when most of the leaves have fallen. That will enable much quieter walks in and out from hunting

RS

Sounds like a good plan. I think we've settled on a rock rake. It should remove all the sizable rocks, most of the woody debris, but also should help level and break the soil. I think we'll also be able to use it to rake all our roads when most of the leaves have fallen. That will enable much quieter walks in and out from hunting
I tried that on our farm in Humphreys County on newly cleared plots. The rock rake acted similar to a solid blade, and I was dragging as much topsoil as I was sticks and rocks. I ended up taking out every other tooth, and it did a little better but not much. It doesn't do much at all as far as breaking up the soil…there's not enough weight with a rock rake, and teeth are pretty flimsy. Over the years, I've thrown out the larger rocks by hand and lived with the rest.

It probably would do a good job of getting leaves off of logging roads.

JCDEERMAN

What a great idea.
The disadvantage to our place is that our cabin is 1/2 mile onto our place and on top. There are 4 major ridge systems that go out from our cabin and each ridge go roughly 1 mile, in a turkey foot (if you will) from where the cabin is centrally located. I've tried to design a drag for a couple years and been unsuccessful. The best thing we've found are a box blade and using leaf blowers. I've even explored the drag behind blowers you see atv's pulling on golf courses. It is vital for us, as the main ridges are the main accesses! I think the rake will be the ticket. Angle it to where you rake one side to the right, turn around at the end of the road, and rake to the other side, making a good 8' - 10' dirt path

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
The disadvantage to our place is that our cabin is 1/2 mile onto our place and on top. There are 4 major ridge systems that go out from our cabin and each ridge go roughly 1 mile, in a turkey foot (if you will) from where the cabin is centrally located. I've tried to design a drag for a couple years and been unsuccessful. The best thing we've found are a box blade and using leaf blowers. I've even explored the drag behind blowers you see atv's pulling on golf courses. It is vital for us, as the main ridges are the main accesses! I think the rake will be the ticket. Angle it to where you rake one side to the right, turn around at the end of the road, and rake to the other side, making a good 8' - 10' dirt path
Rock rakes need to be used in short strokes. As you come into the burden slowly raise the lift of the tractor effectively rolling the sticks and stones. Then back up and do it again. This raking / rolling action with the rake set at an angle may seem slow but once you get the hang of it is pretty productive

DoubleRidge

In the one photo attached you can see the wind row of roots and rocks collected and deposited by rock rake...after rake work was completed we took tractor bucket and pushed into pile....towards left of same picture you can see ground that hadn't been raked....other pic is section of plot where rake work is complete...not perfect....but it eliminates allot of manual labor....the day we did this the soil was dry and crumbled easily.....also important....you need a ground man to clean rake out after each pull...roots and sticks get tangled in tines and with clogged rake we started collecting too much soil....ground man will keep you from having to get off tractor after every pull....again, not perfect but both of these plots were newly cleared plots with stumps being pushed out and busted roots and small to medium size rocks were everywhere ....couple hours with rock rake removed allot of trash off both plots....as for disturbance of soil....it only lightly scratches the surface....maybe loosening top inch or less.

Attachments

• IMG_20200418_153318100~2.jpg
    IMG_20200418_153318100~2.jpg
    490.9 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_20200418_151315854~2.jpg
    IMG_20200418_151315854~2.jpg
    570.7 KB · Views: 54

JCDEERMAN

In the one photo attached you can see the wind row of roots and rocks collected and deposited by rock rake...after rake work was completed we took tractor bucket and pushed into pile....towards left of same picture you can see ground that hadn't been raked....other pic is section of plot where rake work is complete...not perfect....but it eliminates allot of manual labor....the day we did this the soil was dry and crumbled easily.....also important....you need a ground man to clean rake out after each pull...roots and sticks get tangled in tines and with clogged rake we started collecting too much soil....ground man will keep you from having to get off tractor after every pull....again, not perfect but both of these plots were newly cleared plots with stumps being pushed out and busted roots and small to medium size rocks were everywhere ....couple hours with rock rake removed allot of trash off both plots....as for disturbance of soil....it only lightly scratches the surface....maybe loosening top inch or less.
Huge difference in what was worked and not worked in the second pic! Thanks for sharing!

BSK

I wish I had read this before I tried to till my newly bulldozed plots!

DoubleRidge

I wish I had read this before I tried to till my newly bulldozed plots!

One thing I forgot to mention is we walked around with lopers and cut larger roots off level with ground before raking....not fun....but looked nice....then of course we picked up the bigger stuff and tossed in bucket....it's work no doubt.... but the rock rake helped with the process.

Attachments

• IMG_20200418_150722115~2.jpg
    IMG_20200418_150722115~2.jpg
    404 KB · Views: 37

Latest posts