Die repair help

PickettSFHunter

Alright need some more help. This is getting common with me reloading more than ever. I acquired some 260 Rem Peterson Small Rifle Primer brass. When I went to deprime it, I broke the Decap pin. Turns out the smaller flash hole won't accept the Decap pin I had. The old Decap pin was a fixed pin on a RCBS full length sizer die , just the pin is not removable or replaceable. So I go to RBCS and buy a smaller 6.5mm Decap unit to be able to get the smaller flash hole. When I received it today, the unit itself is a smaller diameter so it won't thread into my sizer die. What the heck do I need to get back up and running and be able to deprime this 260 Rem Small rifle primer brass? Thank you for any help.

Attachments

• 5EC21FF8-240A-4B14-88DD-48101F8ED5FF.jpeg
    5EC21FF8-240A-4B14-88DD-48101F8ED5FF.jpeg
    424.8 KB · Views: 79

nso123

You need a replacement decapping pin. It sounds like you may have just gotten an out of spec piece of brass. You could always use a primer hole uniforming tool just in case after you get them deprimed. RCBS does make small and large pins. You may be able to remove the pin from the the new one and put it in the other one.

Omega

Yea, just swap pins. But, to fix this in the future, just get a Lee, or other brand, universal decaper. I have the Lee with a skinny aftermarket stem, works for all but berdans, ask me how I know.

PickettSFHunter

Does the knurled part come off? Is that pin part of the threaded rod? I thought Lee was the only ones who done that.
The knurled part does thread off but the pin is fixed to it. Hard to tell in these pics I know but the broken pin doesn't go forward or backward out of the knurled end. The inside of that knurled end is just solid metal with no hole or anything.

Attachments

• DF43F4EA-755E-41D3-A0BF-7985C1771F9D.jpeg
    DF43F4EA-755E-41D3-A0BF-7985C1771F9D.jpeg
    200.1 KB · Views: 56

Omega

I would try and give it a couple taps with a punch, it may be that the head just takes up the entire bottom of the hole. But I would contact RCBS anyway, and ask about the different threaded rod.