Diamond in the rough

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
I spent the last 3 days going through my brother-in-law's guns.
My sister is going to sell them all to put towards expenses.

My buddy brought his blue book over and we went through them all, grading and pricing them.
90% of them were very "normal" or even "cheap".

As we were going through them there was a Stevens model 311 .410 side by side that caught my eye. It was identical to one my grandfather said was going to be mine before he died and a pos uncle basically stole it from me and gave it to a mixed Rosie O'Donnell (literally) grandkid of his in Michigan. but I digress....

The gun is in the 90-95% range in terms of quality and appearances.
My first thought was, that thing will probably bring my sister $150 so I was happy.

He looked it up and said whoa, they have this gun listed at $200 for 80%.
Not bad I thought.
Then he kept reading.
Add 20% for .410 smooth bore.
Hmmm...
Add 200% for walnut wood and case hardened receiver.
Wow.
This thing is like $600 !!! :eek:

The only issue is when you break it down it won't chocolate chip cookie the triggers.
He said we need to let my brother look at this one.
He carried it to his brother (gunsmith) and he tore it all apart and cleaned it up.
He said the oil was all gummed up in it. It has probably sat in the safe for 30+ years.

Later the next day he called me and said ok here is the deal on your gun.
He cleaned it up and it is slick as a gut and works like brand new.
He said it is a rarity and he REALLY didn't want to let this one come home to me. LOL

He said this gun should fetch in the range of $1,000 to $1,200. :eek:

We pulled the same model up on gunbroker and there were several on there that had sold in the $700 to $900 range that looked like garbage compared to this one.

Both of them want it bad but they said they can't pay what it is worth due to them spending about $2,000 on other guns in the last two days. :D

They said I would keep it if I were you.
I can't afford it either and even though my sister would give it to me I just can't do that to her.
They said I would put $1,000 on it and stand firm.
I can't even imagine.

Not a great picture but this is it.
410.jpg