Destin sport fishing

tnraised

Hoping for some guidance. It has been a long time since I chartered a boat and those were more deep sea with some light trolling. I am not opposed to that but trying to get a great sport fishing trip for some very close family members.

It would be fall break, mid October, 3 to 4 people. They live in the area, open to Destin, FWB, or maybe 45 minute drive on either side. Money isnt too much of a concern within reason, they are great people and I am looking for a solid trip.

They specifically wanted sport/big fishing like marlin, sailfish, etc. I know some of those arent realistoc but that is the idea.

Looking for input on feasibility and any outfits that might be recommended, thanks!

Pilchard

Is your location flexible? Venice Louisiana would be a much better option. I have also done this out of Orange Beach Alabama although the run out to the shelf is longer.

Here is why:
1642191812678.png

Notice the continental shelf and its proximity to land? This is why Venice is such a special place in the Norther GOM fishery.

I did fish a tournament once out of Pensacola and we fished up on the shelf. I can't remember the name of the hump we were on but it was about 100 mile run if I remember correctly and we stayed for the full 3 days of the tournament. Most of the glamorous pelagic species you name are caught out of Destin when the loop current shift towards the coast and comes up on the shelf. You fish the eddies created by the current and it can be amazing but it is unpredictable and something people wait all year for it all to come together during a few-day window.

tnraised

Thanks so much! The picture and overview make a lot of sense and I understand why everyone is talking about Venice, I will see about timing/location flexibility.

Setterman

Several years ago I went out of Pensacola with a guy and we went maybe a mile offshore. He stopped and started chumming and in seconds the ocean was boiling with giant amberjack and beastly jack crevalle. For a while I wore myself out lobbing baitfish into the frenzy and then switched to a fly. Then broke 3 rods and destroyed my elbow having an absolute blast. Still one of my favorite days in the gulf.

Bo Diddley

Hoping for some guidance. It has been a long time since I chartered a boat and those were more deep sea with some light trolling. I am not opposed to that but trying to get a great sport fishing trip for some very close family members.

It would be fall break, mid October, 3 to 4 people. They live in the area, open to Destin, FWB, or maybe 45 minute drive on either side. Money isnt too much of a concern within reason, they are great people and I am looking for a solid trip.

They specifically wanted sport/big fishing like marlin, sailfish, etc. I know some of those arent realistoc but that is the idea.

Looking for input on feasibility and any outfits that might be recommended, thanks!
This is a great time to be there. The Destin fishing Rodeo is going on during the whole month of October. I would get on it soon, a lot of the better boats get booked fast. I would try Sea Fix or Donedeal. Both good boats

Latest posts