Depredation permit process?

cm1021

Anyone ever gone through the process to get a night time coyote permit? I've heard they're available but never done it. We had two calves get taken down on one of our largest farms this weekend, so now all bets are off. I knew there were a few packs around as we've heard them back during deer season but haven't had them target calves until now.

I'll be placing a call to the regional office tomorrow to get the process started, just curious if anyone else has done it and how hard it was.

grill-n-man2

Had the same question a few weeks back. What I can tell you is the region office is going to say hunting coyotes at night isn't legal. And you will be directed to call the local warden to get an explanation of the requirements for a depredation permit and protection of live stock.

Carlos

Anyone ever gone through the process to get a night time coyote permit? I've heard they're available but never done it. We had two calves get taken down on one of our largest farms this weekend, so now all bets are off. I knew there were a few packs around as we've heard them back during deer season but haven't had them target calves until now.

I'll be placing a call to the regional office tomorrow to get the process started, just curious if anyone else has done it and how hard it was.
In my case, they sent the GW out to look over the property and check things out.

My garden had already been grazed, but he wrote me a permit.... to shoot does only, with bird-shot, from a distance of 75 yards or more, during daylight.

Then when my son killed a doe on our property the following season, the meat came back with birdshot throughout.
🤪 😜 🤪

cm1021

In my case, they sent the GW out to look over the property and check things out.

My garden had already been grazed, but he wrote me a permit.... to shoot does only, with bird-shot, from a distance of 75 yards or more, during daylight.

Then when my son killed a doe on our property the following season, the meat came back with birdshot throughout.
🤪 😜 🤪
Well that seems ridiculous lol. I'm only targeting coyotes, so I guess I'll just have to get in touch with my local guy.

cm1021

Had the same question a few weeks back. What I can tell you is the region office is going to say hunting coyotes at night isn't legal. And you will be directed to call the local warden to get an explanation of the requirements for a depredation permit and protection of live stock.
We're you successful in doing so?

RUGER

2-Step Enabled

🤪 😜 🤪
That is crazy.

Tenntrapper

I went through this a few months ago. It's all in the wording. You have every right to protect your livestock...day or night. That is not hunting. Setting up and calling, etc is hunting. If you see/hear them around your livestock and kill them....not hunting. I was using thermal. The GW thanked me for letting them know what I was doing...said it keeps them from responding to someone shooting/poaching at night calls. Just keep them in the loop...and you should be fine.
Try to get ahold of your county warden...not necessarily the regional office.

TITANSFAN2104

2-Step Enabled
I went through this a few months ago. It's all in the wording. You have every right to protect your livestock...day or night. That is not hunting. Setting up and calling, etc is hunting. If you see/hear them around your livestock and kill them....not hunting. I was using thermal. The GW thanked me for letting them know what I was doing...said it keeps them from responding to someone shooting/poaching at night calls. Just keep them in the loop...and you should be fine.
Try to get ahold of your county warden...not necessarily the regional office.
Its all in the wording.... hunting NOOOO... Depredation YES
I will shoot any and everything with fur at night around my house. Ive lost way too many chickens and turkeys.

grill-n-man2

all I can say is that he answered the couple questions I had on it. In short there is no depredation permit for coyotes. Protection of livestock and such you need to discuss that with your local warden

Latest posts