Delayed seasonal range shift

BSK

For some reason, the annual range-shift many deer in my area display is delayed. Normally, bucks break up from the their bachelor groups at velvet shedding and head for their fall range. I usually start picking up a flood of these "new" bucks in mid-September. But so far, nothing. Acorn drop and the harvesting of nearby cropland also drives deer into the hills. Acorns are falling now, but crops are only just starting to be cut (saw first combine running yesterday). What's worse is the acorns have the deer off the food plots, so it's hard to get a good photo census.

But the one positive is the number of does and fawns this year. WAY up over previous years. That certainly can't hurt come the rut.

Thelonegoose

Interesting. In my neck of the woods, I thought the shift occurred early. I started noticing the split-offs in very early September. If there was a bachelor group of 3, one stuck around and the other two went for greener pastures somewhere. Around early to mid September, I noticed an influx of "new" bucks appearing on camera.

megalomaniac

Range shift is late on my farms as well. The 4.5yo killed this morn was still in his bachelor group with a 3.5yo 10, and 3 2.5yos. We've had a couple new bucks shift on, but we've usually picked up a dozen by now. The bucks that usually shift off haven't yet. They are still in their typical summer patterns, with bachelor groups moving in daylight (usually everything 3.5 or older is completely nocturnal now)

Not sure why it's behind schedule this year... but it def is. Had I known this was going to happen, I would have made the trip up to hunt this weekend. Normally, there is about a 0.001% chance of seeing a mature buck in daylight after the velvet is off... but my cameras have been catching them every morning after sunrise and every evening before sunset.... just like mid summer patterns.

Boll Weevil

I've seen a range shift on my farm for a different reason…there's a new 400ac clearcut across the road. I bet the population is up 50-60% almost overnight.

rifle02

I noticed all the Young Bucks in my neighborhood disappeared around 10 days ago. And I do mean neighborhood I am talking about Suburban deer. At least one has still ventured around because I noticed a Buck has rubbed his antlers on my apple trees in the front yard. It had to be a very small buck because the damage was minimal.

BSK

I checked cams the 25th and nothing new yet.

I have no idea how far into the season this apparent delay in biological timing will extend. Hopefully, by the rut, everything will be back on time.

DoubleRidge

I checked cams the 25th and nothing new yet.

I have no idea how far into the season this apparent delay in biological timing will extend. Hopefully, by the rut, everything will be back on time.

Same for us....ran cameras the 26th and last night reviewed several cards and wrapped up reviewing last card this morning.....couple bucks I hope hang around....but no new bucks have shown up yet.....however, the red coats are turning grey...the velvet is gone....the fawns spots are beginning to fade....times are changing.

BSK

Same for us....ran cameras the 26th and last night reviewed several cards and wrapped up reviewing last card this morning.....couple bucks I hope hang around....but no new bucks have shown up yet.....however, the red coats are turning grey...the velvet is gone....the fawns spots are beginning to fade....times are changing.
I picked up some new yearlings, but no new older bucks.

JCDEERMAN

I plan on going ahead and setting up several mock scrapes this weekend. Some of them may already be open. Moving from salt to these and a few pinch points. I usually wait until mid-October, but I probably won't be back for a couple weeks. These will not be in intrusive locations - mostly in new plots. I'll be cutting a small tree with the perfect limb and strapping it to a T-post a few yards out in the fields. Plan on setting up several of these. Hoping we will see some new ones pop up.

DoubleRidge

I plan on going ahead and setting up several mock scrapes this weekend. Some of them may already be open. Moving from salt to these and a few pinch points. I usually wait until mid-October, but I probably won't be back for a couple weeks. These will not be in intrusive locations - mostly in new plots. I'll be cutting a small tree with the perfect limb and strapping it to a T-post a few yards out in the fields. Plan on setting up several of these. Hoping we will see some new ones pop up.

Sounds like a good plan.....buddy of mine found several fresh scrapes open Saturday while running his cameras....I'll set up a few cameras on scrapes soon as well.

DeerCamp

For some reason, the annual range-shift many deer in my area display is delayed. Normally, bucks break up from the their bachelor groups at velvet shedding and head for their fall range. I usually start picking up a flood of these "new" bucks in mid-September. But so far, nothing. Acorn drop and the harvesting of nearby cropland also drives deer into the hills. Acorns are falling now, but crops are only just starting to be cut (saw first combine running yesterday). What's worse is the acorns have the deer off the food plots, so it's hard to get a good photo census.

But the one positive is the number of does and fawns this year. WAY up over previous years. That certainly can't hurt come the rut.
Seconded.

We haven't seen a buck on the home plot on camera in 10 days. Part of this may be because I am in the middle of building the Taj-ma-Deer (late start... yeesh), but even on the other cameras not near the main food plots, the bucks seem to still be grouped up and hanging out near the soybeans, which are still very green on the neighboring farms.

tree_ghost

My velvet target buck is still where I left him but obviously in hard horn now. Wouldn't you know it while I'm up in Ohio chasing the wind, because the deer weren't cooperating, he's down here gorging his gut in the white oaks in broad daylight 2 of the past 4 days…SMH

BSK

FINALLY observed the beginnings of the annual range shift. New deer started appearing on cam Sept. 28. That's about 2 weeks late for my place. But new deer are flooding in now. Some of this may be due to late planting and late harvesting of crops in the adjacent bottomlands. Farmers are only just now starting to harvest corn in the bottoms. Usually that's completed by late September. Soybeans still a few weeks away from harvest (still a little yellow in the leaves).

peytoncreekhunter

FINALLY observed the beginnings of the annual range shift. New deer started appearing on cam Sept. 28. That's about 2 weeks late for my place. But new deer are flooding in now. Some of this may be due to late planting and late harvesting of crops in the adjacent bottomlands. Farmers are only just now starting to harvest corn in the bottoms. Usually that's completed by late September. Soybeans still a few weeks away from harvest (still a little yellow in the leaves).

Well, maybe the deer have been in quarantine to avoid covid-19 and are just now venturing out and about....😁

DoubleRidge

I REALLY can't wait to see what bucks show up - this year more than ever. Might actually have a deer to go after

I listened to a recent video from Dr Grant (yes listened to it while driving to work) video pertained to managing does on your property....but I thought about you, JCDeerman and others in Hickman and Perry County.....he stated that 2 to 3 years following a Major EHD outbreak can be an excellent time to see bucks that have reached their full potential....with the thought being that with the drastic herd reduction the available food source's are abundant...so the bucks that do survive the outbreak really get their full nutritional needs met.... obviously a Major EHD outbreak isn't something we want to see....but if (or when) it happens, this is a positive spin that I hadn't thought of before.....the video is one of the newer ones he has listed ....check it out.

BSK

I listened to a recent video from Dr Grant (yes listened to it while driving to work) video pertained to managing does on your property....but I thought about you, JCDeerman and others in Hickman and Perry County.....he stated that 2 to 3 years following a Major EHD outbreak can be an excellent time to see bucks that have reached their full potential....with the thought being that with the drastic herd reduction the available food source's are abundant...so the bucks that do survive the outbreak really get their full nutritional needs met.... obviously a Major EHD outbreak isn't something we want to see....but if (or when) it happens, this is a positive spin that I hadn't thought of before.....the video is one of the newer ones he has listed ....check it out.
I wish I could pinpoint the reason we saw such massive antler growth per age-class last year. Honestly, I can't pin it to anything. But it doesn't look like it will be repeated this year. So far, everything looking average for their age.

Latest posts