deformed racks

BSK

I could write a novel from this year and last year. Most all older bucks have deformed antlers and most young deer are small and scraggly
That is exactly what we're seeing. We have a near record number of spike yearlings, and most of the older bucks have scrawny or malformed racks.

BSK

I'm not glad that's what yall are seeing, but glad I'm not the only one!
Although it's disappointing to have a year like this, what really gets my goat is not knowing exactly why these experiences/conditions are so regionally common this year. What drove this problem? Obviously, the drought played a role. But how exactly?

Hymie3

Just look at what gets in the water system and runoff ect. It's a wonder they don't have three heads and glow in the dark.

gunrunner

Three years ago I had an older 6 point that ran every buck off of my lease. He was scarred and beat up but all of the other deer ran from him. I killed him as I was walking back to my truck after a hunt. I was standing in waist high broomstraw when I saw him about 200 yards away. I froze and he started walking toward me all bristled up and growling. When he got to about 75 yards I shot him full frontal in the chest. Just a mean SOB. I guess he did not know what I was standing in the weeds and broomstraw.

Ski

Although it's disappointing to have a year like this, what really gets my goat is not knowing exactly why these experiences/conditions are so regionally common this year. What drove this problem? Obviously, the drought played a role. But how exactly?

I'm not so sure it's regional. From what I can tell it's everywhere. Seems "normal" is more the exception than the rule this year. It's odd that all these weird racks and worst/weirdest rut I've ever seen are happening at the same time.

Latest posts