Food Plots Deer Not Eating Corn

CPerk

Have planted an acre of beans the past two years in the same spot and had TONS of deer hammer them from the time I took the fence down in October until February. Planted an acre of corn this year in the same spot and haven't seen half the action in the corn as I have the beans, in person and on camera. Is there too good of a mast crop in Rutherford County? Does it take time for deer to learn to eat corn off the stalk (no row crops within 5+ miles)? Need to get cold before they're craving corn? Have probably put less pressure on the spot this year than in the previous years. Could always be other factors, but any insight would be appreciated!

DoubleRidge

It's your crop of corn that was grown under normal agriculture practices.....bush hog it or a portion of it now....then late season bush hog the remaining portion.....it's legal (for deer hunting)......but yes...agree that acorns have an effect on food plot activity no doubt...I'd go get on the tractor.....bush hog half now and leave half standing to bush hog later.....good luck hunting.

JCDEERMAN

Acorns could be a factor. Corn is more of an energy/carb food typically utilized later in the fall/winter. Though I agree, it's corn and they love it.....if you bush hog it, they should be in there.

JBell

I would agree with previous posts. But this year has been the exception at my place. Deer mowed down 3.5 acres of corn before October hit. Only 1/4 of my stalks remain standing and ears are shucked back and bare. Not a kernel left. But out acorn mast is very low around here. Think that's the biggest factor

JCDEERMAN

I would agree with previous posts. But this year has been the exception at my place. Deer mowed down 3.5 acres of corn before October hit. Only 1/4 of my stalks remain standing and ears are shucked back and bare. Not a kernel left. But out acorn mast is very low around here. Think that's the biggest factor
The only trees with acorns in our are are red oaks, and they are loaded. None one any other variety

jmf

Id rather have corn than anything else. Corn is king. Bushog strips throughout the season. The deer will wear it out.

Boone25/06

I have planted corn the last 3 years it's been hit or miss. My farm is loaded with white oaks and deer completely leave corn when they start falling. I have a one row picker that I run through the corn to lay stalks down and leave cobs on top of bent over stalks. The deer seam to like it and it doesn't sprout as fast as bushogging.
6707BDCB-E831-425F-A130-BB6161C02303.jpeg

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
I would suggest squirrel hunting that corn edge in October and trapping coons with dog proof traps. They will destroy a standing corn crop quick and are happy to let the deer take the blame. I grow 1/4 acre of popcorn for family and friends each year and if I didnt kill 20 squirrels and trap 6 to 8 coons each year I wouldnt get any popcorn.

JBell

I have 4 acres of field corn. And only 2-3 squirrels and one coin that I'm aware of. (Trail cams) but I also have 20-25 deer a night out there. I think acorns are low in my area and they just had to find another food source. Have always had plenty left over after season. Not the case this year.

gtk

Staff member
run your 4wheeler down a couple rows. The deer on our farm in MS wouldn't seem to touch our corn until it was on the ground. I woudl watch them walk thru the corn to eat honeysuckle on the edge of the field.

Latest posts