Deer / morels

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
I wonder if deer eat morel mushrooms?

I have seen them take nibbles off of regular ole "toad stools" and just wondered that this morning.

JCDEERMAN

That thought crossed my mind after hiking over 7 miles this past weekend without finding any. Then again, we don't have hardly any deer from the 2019 ehd kill, so I cancelled that thought :p

Stumpsitter

Deer and turkey both. They have all but decimated my morels this year. Squirrels will get them too. I can't blame them any , I like morels too.

DoubleRidge

I know a guy that nipped the top off one out of curiosity....ate a small piece raw....and within 15 to 20 minutes his finger tips went numb....broke out in a sweat.....so as good as they are....they do have a certain level of toxins and for human consumption need to be cooked....I've even read that you shouldn't can them because the toxins can't escape.

Ski

I know a guy that nipped the top off one out of curiosity....ate a small piece raw....and within 15 to 20 minutes his finger tips went numb....broke out in a sweat.....so as good as they are....they do have a certain level of toxins and for human consumption need to be cooked....I've even read that you shouldn't can them because the toxins can't escape.

I've heard similar stories but never tried it myself. I ate a wee bit too many chicken of the woods one night and had the most realistic, weird dreams. I woke up hoping not knowing if what I had dreamed was real or dream. Called my brother whom I had dinner with and same thing for him. I've eaten hundreds of pounds of those things in my life and only that once ever had an experience like that.

DoubleRidge

I've heard similar stories but never tried it myself. I ate a wee bit too many chicken of the woods one night and had the most realistic, weird dreams. I woke up hoping not knowing if what I had dreamed was real or dream. Called my brother whom I had dinner with and same thing for him. I've eaten hundreds of pounds of those things in my life and only that once ever had an experience like that.

Interesting that you both had the same experience..... interesting and a little spooky..... morels are the only ones I'm familiar enough with to eat but would like to learn other types.......this year we did branch out and picked 6 cups of wild violets and made a batch of jelly....good stuff....sweet and tart....kinda fruity....great on a homemade biscuit.

CATCHDAWG

Interesting that you both had the same experience..... interesting and a little spooky..... morels are the only ones I'm familiar enough with to eat but would like to learn other types.......this year we did branch out and picked 6 cups of wild violets and made a batch of jelly....good stuff....sweet and tart....kinda fruity....great on a homemade biscuit.
Lions mane is a delicious mushroom that is easy to spot and there are no lookalikes. I find them more in early fall vs spring but they do grow in the spring. Often referred to as "lobster of the woods" and they taste like, well.... lobster.

DoubleRidge

Lions mane is a delicious mushroom that is easy to spot and there are no lookalikes. I find them more in early fall vs spring but they do grow in the spring. Often referred to as "lobster of the woods" and they taste like, well.... lobster.

Interesting...thanks for the info.....a quick read on lions mane also suggest there are some health benefits.....I'll check them out.

BSK

How interesting. I don't think I've ever seen Lion's Mane mushrooms before. I see morels all the time, but lion's mane is a new one on me.

Big Pop

These are cauliflower mushrooms and are very good as well sautéed and served with eggs.

Attachments

• D52C6B89-106D-4AD0-8736-8A117A2C9E6B.jpeg
    D52C6B89-106D-4AD0-8736-8A117A2C9E6B.jpeg
    997.2 KB · Views: 33

Latest posts