Deer Memories and Thanksgiving

rsimms

Supporter
For many hunters Thanksgiving means deer hunting. The same is true for me, but perhaps for a different reason. I can't remember the year exactly, but I think it was 1967. That would have made me 12 years old. It was Thanksgiving Day, and my family was at a relative's home on Dayton Mountain. I'm not using any names here, for reasons which will become obvious - my Rhea County family and friends will know. One of my older cousins stopped by and happened to mention they were going deer hunting the following morning and asked if I wanted to go along. Of course, my answer was a huge, "Yes!" The rest of the story: https://bit.ly/deermemories

doe.jpg

Hawk

Thanks for the memories. Maybe five years before your hunt my Decatur county uncles dropped me off at a likely crossing in what was known as the Gravel Springs hollow. Told to sit, listen for the dogs, and with any luck maybe a deer would cross close by. Told to shoot anything but luckily nothing illegal came by that day.
Last week I was in a stand within a quarter of a mile of where I went on my first deer hunt and now days any deer that comes by is legal. The baying of the hounds that chilly November morning so many years ago will always bring memories of all my uncles long gone now who started me deer hunting.

P. S. My Father did not hunt or own a gun.

AlabamaSwamper

I still go on a hunt or two in Alabama each year. I miss having my own pack but time just don’t allow me anymore.

Technology will save the sport. They are able to stop a pack on a dime from a half mile away before they leave the property.

Last year in Geneva county they turned over 100 loose twice a day for two days on aWMA and not a single dog left the property. Amazing really

Chiflyguy

I killed my first deer on Thanksgiving morning in 1972. The picture is from Thanksgiving 1978. My first deer taken with a flintlock rifle that I had built. If my memory serves me correctly there was no muzzle loading season at that time in Tennessee.View attachment 120728
This is a cool pic. No $300 jacket, scent control crap. Just a dude in his regular clothes. Just out hunting.
Old school.

Trophy of the moment

• Trophy by Andrew Hays
    Andrew tagged his first deer. He shot it on the family farm in Fayette...
    • Andrew Hays
    • Updated:

Latest posts