deer jerky

jayandrai

I just put some meat in the refrigerator for curing. I can't wait to dry it so I can eat some. I have not done it this way before. I hope it turns out ok. I used some ground deer and put it in a dehydrated before but I'm using whole meat and going to use the oven. Has anyone done it this way? How did it turn out?

TNfireman

Whole jerky to me is the only way to go! Never liked the ground jerky but I have never used the oven. Dehydrator seems to do the best! Let us know how it turns out.

jayandrai

I don't have a dehyrater it was someone else's. I have the oven at 200 degrees and the door cracked. It is smelling good in there.

mike243

Most ovens will only go down to 170,my dehydrator will only
Go up to 155 but the temp is more even in the dehydrator
Imo,having to leave the door cracked open on the oven
Causes the thermostat to cycle way more than it should
& i would bet higher than 170 most of the time at the rack
Level

jayandrai

The brand of jerky seasoning said for oven set to 200 and crack the door. It turned out good. Its not chewy and its not tough.

jayandrai

It was from a hind quarter. I took a knife that was similar to a filet knife and cut pieces off and then sliced it about quarter inch thick.

jayandrai

I think it was 2 hours at 200 degrees with the door cracked. You check it every once in a while. I got my cure and seasonings from a kit I bought at basspro.

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
When I use the oven I have to rotate and flip the meat to get it all at the same consistancy.You need to leave the door cracked to let the moisture out.
You can check jerky for doneness by bending it. It should bend and crack but not break.

redblood

i like both whole meat and ground meat jerky. bought a jerky cannon off ebay and using the round attachemnet the jerky has been amazing. used the nesco seasoning kits that came with the cannon. 19 bucks, no tax, no shipping for the cannon and about 5 seasoning kits.

jayandrai

I just got home and checked. It is Hi Mountain seasonings I bought it at basspro. I did whole meat and it says for the oven 1 to 1 1/4 hours at 200 degrees with the door cracked open. Mine turned out really good which its all gone now.

Latest posts