Deer jerky question? (For those that cut their own jerky)

R

robinhedd

I'm thinking about making the kids some deer jerky, and I cut all my own deer up myself (processing fees are just too high).
I was wondering if someone that makes it regularly could tell me which cuts of meat you use, and how thick do u slice the pieces? I'm gonna freeze the meat for a few months to hopefully kill bacteria? (I've heard that's s good idea, since the jerky doesn't reach a high temp)? Thanks in advance, Robinhedd

winchester77jj

winchester77jj

Re: Deer jerky question? (For those that cut their own jerky

I prefer more be made from burger. I bought a jerky gun. To me the flavor is richer and it is easier to eat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cecil30-30

cecil30-30

Supporter

I'd use the roasts that I get off the back hams. I freeze them, and then set them in the fridge for a day so they just barley start to thaw but are still stiff and I set my meat slicer on 6, and slice away, can do 2 roasts in just a few minutes.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

280longshot

280longshot

I make it from ground with a jerky shooter, easier and my kids like it better.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Dbllunger

Dbllunger

Supporter

I don't process my own but have my processor slice both back hams for jerky. The slices are usually about 1/8" thick and seem to work pretty well. I bought a jerky gun once and tried the ground venison. Did not care for it at all personally.

iowavf

iowavf

I used any scraps and most of the roasts for jerky. I liked to slice mind about 1/4" so it wasn't like shoe leather when it was done. I used the oven method with High Mountain jerky mix.

M

Mike Belt

When I do jerky strips I use the hams. When I do jerky disks I do the backstraps.

WTM

WTM

Supporter

freezing meat DOES NOT kill bacteria, only parasites and tape worms. freeze it at -5 deg f for a minimum of 4 days to kill most parasites and tapeworms if you must.

bacteria in meat will come from improper handling or spoilage.

that said i have never had a problem with jerky, and i used to kill a bunch of deer before my tick sickness 6 years ago and never had a bad batch of jerky or snack links, but i always added the proper amount of sodium nitrite to my meat. my jerky seasoning was called “jerky fixins” sold at rural king. the sodium nitrite kills bacteria until the dehydrator gets the meat up to temp. if you use a smoker dehydrator, the smoke itself has ancertain amount of nitrites/nitrates in it to ward off bacteria until it is done. smoke is how native americans preserved meat and fish. if you use a kit with sodium nitrite or nitrate already added then dont add any to it.

ive used the whole deer for jerky, but i like the bottom round, top round of the hams and the back straps(for disks like mike b). i sliced mine 1/4” thick and ran it for about 10-12 hours, check it and if it cracks then its done. i also put it in a large bowl with loose wrap on top to reabsorb some air moisture. this will bring it to perfect jerky moisture content.

duckduck84

duckduck84

I brought this up in my thread the other day about this, if you are worried about bacteria you can cook the jerky first to get it up to temp then dehydrate it. I don't know how that works with ground but I do it for the strips of meat I use.

USDA recommends cooking first, but no one that commented in my thread had ever done that and didn't have any problems. They just dehydrated.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

catman529

catman529

I use the hind quarters for all my jerky, separate into smaller roasts that will fit on the meat slicer, cut when it's half frozen to 4mm thick.

WTM

WTM

Supporter

duckduck84":15d9wc8k said:
I brought this up in my thread the other day about this, if you are worried about bacteria you can cook the jerky first to get it up to temp then dehydrate it. I don't know how that works with ground but I do it for the strips of meat I use.

USDA recommends cooking first, but no one that commented in my thread had ever done that and didn't have any problems. They just dehydrated.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

that may be sound advise for bear or rabbit, where trichinosis is prevelant but i have never had a problem with deer.

if it makes you feel better you can add a wee bit of white vinegar to your marinade. this is on the recipe for the “jerky fixins” packet that i mentioned. the acid in the vinegar deters the growth of bacteria and you wont taste it in the jerky.

Wildcat

Wildcat

Supporter

When cutting your meat for jerky cut against the grain, it makes it easier to chew.

catman529

catman529

Wildcat":3iva09bu said:
When cutting your meat for jerky cut against the grain, it makes it easier to chew.
tends to make it brittle and fall apart as well. I try to cut mostly with the grain but at a slight angle so the "grains" aren't as long and hard to chew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Rebel

Rebel

Supporter

I and some of my fellow lease members will cut thin strips off of the ribs. Perfect for jerky. I also use ground meat in a jerky shooter.

WTM

WTM

Supporter

catman529":2d2zw8ig said:
Wildcat":2d2zw8ig said:
tends to make it brittle and fall apart as well. I try to cut mostly with the grain but at a slight angle so the "grains" aren't as long and hard to chew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

not if you let the jerky equalize. if jerky is brittle and falls apart, its too dried.

TNGunsmoke

TNGunsmoke

I make mine with steaks and roasts. I have tried ground and making sticks or flats, just don't care for ground meat jerky, the flats have always been rubbery, and the rounds look like cat turds and fall apart too easily.

shirtshirt

shirtshirt

Supporter

You can use almost any cut of venison for jerky and it turns out pretty good. Like most above, back hams are what i like to use the best. The primary reason for that is because you can get big, even cuts that give really awesome size pieces of jerky. And I agree with "cut against the grain". I also second "cut 1/4" thick" as mentioned above because I like a more tender jerky. Usually I don't have to dehydrate nearly as long as most recipes suggest.

In my marinade I use a little pink salt to help with preserving/prevention of bacteria growth.