Deer hunting products

Vermin93

MXB 400":cg3897f8 said:
I've had good luck using Hunters Specialties earth scent wafers putting them in my tote with my hunting cloths. I've had several deer come downwind of me without smelling me. I shower using Scent Killer gold then wear scent blocker base layer then my HECS suit then my ScentLok pants and jacket. When colder temps I also have a ScentLok coveralls I wear over all the above I also spray down with Scent killer gold spray before heading to stand. So you can say I'm a scent control nut LOL :lol:

I'm not sure if you're joking about wearing all that stuff, but using scent wafers with an activated carbon product like ScentLok is not recommended. The activated carbon in the clothing will absorb the scent molecules from the scent wafer, saturating the activated carbon prematurely and reducing its ability to absorb the scent molecules from your body. That's why ScentLok instructs users to store ScentLok clothing in a scent-free bag or tote after following the washing and drying instructions.

Another thing worth noting is that ScentLok is now pushing the use of ozone to reactivate ScentLok clothing. I have not researched this yet, but it seems like it would make sense since ozone is a very effective deodorizer and sanitizer.

catman529

Winchester":a8eojxsd said:
No such thing as a "cover scent" as deer can discern multiple smells at one time. I do try to reduce my own scent as much as possible but it is IMPOSSIBLE to completely eliminate it.
that's right they can, but a cover scent can still work in some cases. If it's a strong scent it will take the deer longer to pick up on the human scent. If it's q calming scent like evercalm, it makes the deer think there are other deer around, which gives a sense of security even if there's human scent left behind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MXB 400

Vermin93":37duvvjd said:
MXB 400":37duvvjd said:
I've had good luck using Hunters Specialties earth scent wafers putting them in my tote with my hunting cloths. I've had several deer come downwind of me without smelling me. I shower using Scent Killer gold then wear scent blocker base layer then my HECS suit then my ScentLok pants and jacket. When colder temps I also have a ScentLok coveralls I wear over all the above I also spray down with Scent killer gold spray before heading to stand. So you can say I'm a scent control nut LOL :lol:

I'm not sure if you're joking about wearing all that stuff, but using scent wafers with an activated carbon product like ScentLok is not recommended. The activated carbon in the clothing will absorb the scent molecules from the scent wafer, saturating the activated carbon prematurely and reducing its ability to absorb the scent molecules from your body. That's why ScentLok instructs users to store ScentLok clothing in a scent-free bag or tote after following the washing and drying instructions.

Another thing worth noting is that ScentLok is now pushing the use of ozone to reactivate ScentLok clothing. I have not researched this yet, but it seems like it would make sense since ozone is a very effective deodorizer and sanitizer.
No that's what I wear and I have read the recommendation of ScentLok as I buy my stuff direct from them and Robinson outdoors. Funny how ScentLok recommend you do certain stuff like not using a field spray and still try and sell you a field spray and recommend not using one. *DO NOT use cover scents or sprays on your ScentLok clothing**

Winchester

catman529":1k0u5ek2 said:
Winchester":1k0u5ek2 said:
No such thing as a "cover scent" as deer can discern multiple smells at one time. I do try to reduce my own scent as much as possible but it is IMPOSSIBLE to completely eliminate it.
that's right they can, but a cover scent can still work in some cases. If it's a strong scent it will take the deer longer to pick up on the human scent. If it's q calming scent like evercalm, it makes the deer think there are other deer around, which gives a sense of security even if there's human scent left behind.

Like I stated earlier, if it gives you more confidence then by all means spend the money and use it. I'm not exaggerating when I tell you I have tried most EVERYTHING over the last 35 years ive been deer hunting across several states, my experiences have me trying to reduce my own scent and be as undetectable as possible, as far as the deer are concerned when it comes to smell. I don't have much of an issue with getting busted by deer smelling me but I attribute that to hunting the wind as much as possible and hunting HIGH when possible. I do wish I would have been smart enough years ago to come up with some sort of "cover" scent and market it correctly, I would be much wealthier! ;)
Same goes for the scent lok type suits, proven failures with the law suits to back it up. Our military would not utilize (one use) throw away suits if they could effectively reuse them.

Headhunter

Vermin93":tzb9lwxz said:
I'm going to order a can of Nose Jammer based on the recommendations in this thread and other reviews I've heard about it. I look forward to finding out if it's worth the price of a 12-pack.

Vermin, I have been and continue to be blessed in that I get to hunt and hang out on some truly great places for deer. One place I get to hunt a few times a year at a minimum I see 50 deer a day and many of them are inside of a 100 yards. I have watched them (especially bucks that are by themselves obviously looking for does) walk within inches of most every single doe in heat scent made and the bucks never even hesitate, much less check it out or be attracted to it. I try and have tried most anything there is. I basically in all my years of hunting never "use the wind". There are situations where I feel confident that I can use it to my advantage and when I can or think I can I do, but when someone comes up with a way to know every move a deer makes, where it always come from or go to, and I mean ALWAYS, then that person should be able to be millionaire overnight. The one thing I know for a fact is you don't know for the most part with deer, especially mature bucks, what they will do all the time.

The nosejammer is the only thing I have ever tried that, so far, I have not seen a deer spook from my walk in trail, or not throw its head up, start checking the wind and get the heck out of dodge when I can only assume it decided I stink. I hunted a stand on a farm last year, 15' ladder stand, that I helped hang, just hanging stands for whoever landowner had hunting, like I said I never pay much attention to the wind. Well,it is in a "bowl" and is a horrible spot, especially for scent. It was a bad choice for a stand spot. All the other guys that hunt the farm will not hunt it and are ready to move it, every time they hunt it the deer raise all kinds of heck, they say because your scent pools in about a 100 yard area and when the deer get into that area they go nuts, blow, leave, etc. I hunted it 3 evenings, wind from different directions and no wind one sit, used the nosejammer and had as many as 30 deer within 40 yards of me and never saw a deer get the least bit nervous or anything. I sprayed a tree with nosejammer about 10' from the base of my tree and a couple came and licked it. Those guys couldn't believe it when I showed them the pics of the deer standing around me, even a couple of mature bucks. They are believers now to.

I am sure that something will happen and a deer won't like it or something may spook from it, because I believe if you are alive and breathing you putting an odor off in some way no matter what, but I believe the nosejamer has something about that for sure helps.

MXB 400

gator-n-buck":1kni8rb3 said:
I use what gives me confidents and has proven to work. I could careless about bias opinions that have to do with being cheap or have never tried it.... :)
very well stated

ronnycl

Winchester":3j8u0llv said:

What language did this deer speak? Did you get his name? :drool:

gator-n-buck

Do cover scents work? Covers scents have been used by drug smugglers for decades to try and beat a dogs nose. Most of the time the dog will break it down and alert. But normally it will take a dog a little longer to figure it out when a cover scent is used. So if a cover scent gives you a few extra seconds to get a shot off before a deer figures it out. I guess in some cases covers scents have helped.

Vermin93

I'm in for $15. We'll see if this stuff works. I have the perfect stand site to test it.

1496593b28eeadf6a1cd7077d93896d6.jpg

MXB 400

Vermin93":2ylu4mbu said:
I'm in for $15. We'll see if this stuff works. I have the perfect stand site to test it.

1496593b28eeadf6a1cd7077d93896d6.jpg

I also bought some jammer to see if it works

poorhunter

2-Step Enabled
Vermin93":eyu74zt4 said:
poorhunter":eyu74zt4 said:
:smash: :rotf:
Vermin93":eyu74zt4 said:

Before we use words like ignorant, what do you know about ozone and it's commercial uses?

Sorry Vermin. That's ignorance on my part if that's what that emoji means. I just thought it funny you buying ozone and all, and had to laugh. I know nothing (virtually nothing) about commercial uses of ozone. We do use an AlpineAir machine to clean the air in our house though.

Again, I didn't mean to call you ignorant, especially concerning ozone. Please forgive me.

Winchester

ronnycl":a1058tdf said:
Winchester":a1058tdf said:

What language did this deer speak? Did you get his name? :drool:
If that's not simple enough for you I wont waste more time trying to explain.

As for drugs being smuggled with cover scents, I'm sure it does help when the drugs are packed inside something with a strong smell, so your right, if I soaked my clothes in say, Skunk scent, I'm sure I would gain a lil time before they smell me!! :D
I think I will just stick to scent reduction as a way to gain a lil time. ;)

Latest posts