Deer hide throw

midtndeerhunter

Searched and found some recommendations , but figured would ask again. I am wanting to get acouple hides tanned this year weather for rugs or throws on the couch. What do y'all suggest and what price tag am I looking at? Thanks fellas.

gtk

Staff member
For just a "throw", I would do myself. Fairly simple process, but requires elbow grease and patience. I've done several just using the hide tanning solution in the orange bottle.

AT Hiker

You will want something called a "soft tan" or a pliable dry tan. Price can be all across the board and your best bet might be to find a local taxidermist and see if they can help. Or contact a tannery, I seen one advertised called East Tn Tannery. They may allow you to ship a frozen green hide to them.

gtk

Staff member
I took a quick look at this site, I wouldn't hesitate giving it a try plus the price is right.
Those prices are nice ! By the time you factor in your time/labor, its probably cheaper to send it to them rather than do it myself, and i'm pretty sure I'd get a better end-result.

saving that website.

AT Hiker

Those prices are nice ! By the time you factor in your time/labor, its probably cheaper to send it to them rather than do it myself, and i'm pretty sure I'd get a better end-result.

saving that website.
I can assure you with 100% certainty that you can not produce a garment tan at home. I started sending my taxidermy skins off to a commercial tannery simply because I do not want those chemicals anywhere near my house and it takes some serious stuff (formic acid) to pickle a skin properly.

gtk

Staff member
i've done several deer hides. I have had only one come out soft enough i would consider "garment soft". The key is stretching/breaking. Not sure on longevity though, my oldest tanned one is about 6yrs and still looks good.

Next one i do, i will try the power washer trick to get off all membrane.

Latest posts