Deer Habitat Loss in the Midwest

Planking

While that's certainly part of the problem i agree with the hunters. Over harvest, disease and predators are the biggies.

WRbowhunter

I guess this guy should have read Posers post on OHIO before he commented.

from Dcast  wrote 1 week 2 days ago

I don't think you can include Ohio in this. We have liberal deer quotas to bring the herd to more manageable levels and in the last decade have yet to come close to meeting one of them. Our deer herd is far to large for the land available. Now I'm all for more habitat but we must be truthful to push for a purpose. In fact we do not need more deer or turkey habitat, what we truly need is upland habitat which we have very little of.

Hunter 257W

The problem is there are too many of us people. More and more land is being used for housing. But probably more blame, for loss of deer habitat in big farm country, is the recent high grain prices. Farmers are clearing all those fence rows and corners that used to be grown up. Also as the big farmers buy up land around them, they tend to clean out the fencerows that used to divide boundaries. Not much is left for wildlife.

Cutbacks on the CRP program funding aren't going to affect this to any significant degree. The payments you get for putting land into that program are pennies on the dollar compared to what that same land will produce growing beans or corn.

AT Hiker

Hunter 257W":3ekijkju said:
The problem is there are too many of us people. More and more land is being used for housing. But probably more blame, for loss of deer habitat in big farm country, is the recent high grain prices. Farmers are clearing all those fence rows and corners that used to be grown up. Also as the big farmers buy up land around them, they tend to clean out the fencerows that used to divide boundaries. Not much is left for wildlife.

Cutbacks on the CRP program funding aren't going to affect this to any significant degree. The payments you get for putting land into that program are pennies on the dollar compared to what that same land will produce growing beans or corn.

They are plowing ground in the great plains now to grow grain, that hallowed ground has never been turned and will never be the same ever again. Assuming any of it is left after this ethanol BS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts