Food Plots Deer Food Plot preference study (MSU)

DeerCamp

Interesting study! Maybe explains why the deer never touched the turnips and radishes I planted. Some examples of less-desired crops include rape seed and turnip and other brassica plants, which are high in sulfur. Turnips start off high in crude protein but by the middle of the growing season, its protein value "drops way down." Other crops that deer avoid include chicory, a plant from the sunflower family.

That's surprising - I always thought deer liked Chicory.

Excerpt from the article:
We established buffet-style experimental food plots on a Mississippi property that was dominated by loblolly pine stands managed for wildlife habitat. We followed normal food-plot protocols when cultivating the fields, using herbicide to kill standing vegetation and a disk to prepare seed beds. We also applied lime and fertilizer according to soil analysis recommendations from the MSU Soils Lab.

We planted each field with 15 popular cool-season food plot plants purchased from the local farm supply store – nothing fancy. You've heard the phrase "everything but the kitchen sink." Well, that is what we wanted to do in this experiment: give deer dietary choices from a diversity of plants, many of which have their own unique nutrient profiles, so deer could mix their diet to meet their needs.

BSK

Only problem I have with these types of food plot plant preference studies is that they are VERY site/soil specific. What deer go crazy over in one location they may not touch in another location. For example, in heavy clay soils in the Southeast, deer can't keep their mouths off Austrian Winter Peas in a fall/winter plot. However, plant them in sandier soils, and deer won't touch them. No idea why.

And as I posted in another thread, even in the same plot/soil, a plant may go untouched in summer yet wolfed down in fall. I've used Buckwheat quite a bit in my plots. But deer hardly use it at all in summer. However, mixed into a fall planting in August through October and deer go crazy over it until the first freeze kills it.

DoubleRidge

Good read...the dietary instinct or dietary preference part of the article is very interesting...and a great reminder of how important plant diversity is...not only in a food plot program but also when managing the natural habitat....with the goal being plant diversity throughout the year.

Latest posts