Deer Drives

Mike Belt

Anyone ever do deer drives anymore? In my early years of deer hunting we did them pretty often... mostly in Ms. I see a bunch of places where I hunt that look promising and it may be the only way to see a deer in some of that stuff. At the same time most of them are too expansive for drives to really work. Just once I'd love to be able to turn about 100 beagles into some of them, lol.

TX300mag

On occasion in Ohio, but the neighboring camps do like clockwork. We try to be in the stand when they do and sightings usually increase a bunch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Acorn

Back in the mid 90's we would do them on what is now Yanahli Wma. We killed a lot of does and a few small bucks. I only seen one mature buck during that time on a drive. But it went right across the main highway.

mike243

not legal on wma's but have been the cause of deer deaths and vice versa thru unintentional bumping deer lol

Mike Belt

Two of the biggest bucks I've seen while hunting were during deer drives. Both times they let the drivers walk right by them while they laid there stretched out on the ground. One of those occasions the buck headed out the back door after the drivers went by and one time the buck continued laying there until a couple of the drivers turned around and went back, this time jumping him out of his bed.

Smo

I've done them back in the late 70's and early 80's.

There wasn't many deer in our area then and drives seemed to at least give you a better chance at seeing a deer.

tn24

Chuck Swan WMA is famous for deer drives. They're about the only WMA that I know that specifically lists deer driving as a prohibited act.

fairchaser

Mike Belt":3ades4v2 said:
Two of the biggest bucks I've seen while hunting were during deer drives. Both times they let the drivers walk right by them while they laid there stretched out on the ground. One of those occasions the buck headed out the back door after the drivers went by and one time the buck continued laying there until a couple of the drivers turned around and went back, this time jumping him out of his bed.

Mike, some bucks are hiders and some are runners. The runners will definitely run past the drivers out the back door. Always cover the back door! The hiders will lay flat like a dog until you make eye contact and then they will explode. It's a blast to watch how sneaky they can be.

Spurhunter

Not exactly what you asked but I hunted with a club in the late 90's in Mississippi that ran dogs on certain days. It was an absolute blast. I think there are safety concerns and it's not the most skillful way to kill a big buck but it is fun.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Doskil

States that allow dogs, dog driving, chasing deer is a big deal.

Seems to me most land nowadays is too small to drive

Gravey

Met up with Bone Collector, his brother, and my brother in law today and did some drives. Really need 6-8 people for the area we were in but had a good time. Jumped several deer but no kills. Always try to do it once or twice at the end of the year.

Smo

Doskil":20s1j1me said:
States that allow dogs, dog driving, chasing deer is a big deal.

Seems to me most land nowadays is too small to drive

I've been on a few dog deer hunts years ago.

As far as the size of the land.... dogs can't read.

That's how some people hunt them.

I hunted a 120 acre place in Al. that was in a dog legal county.

The 1200 acre lease that it bordered it would turn the dogs loose around 7:30 am.

They always would bring deer my way it seemed .... so I didn't mind too much.

Mike Belt

Where I hunted in Ms they ran dogs. These dog hunters had right at 50,000 acres leased; the majority in pines. They used radios and tracking devices and ran the entire road system around the area they were hunting. I had hunting rights to a 320 acre parcel of land in the middle of the land they hunted that the owner refused to lease to them. With right at 50,000 acres surrounding that they were still obsessed with getting me out of there and eventually succeeded.

volunteer1

Been fortunate enough to be a part of running dogs in North Carolina near the coast. I had a blast and most times killed deer. Several of us set up on on logging roads in pine thickets with shotguns, some in stands on shooting lanes and others would be in bean fields etc. If you haven't had the opportunity to experience it before you have to try it at least once. Like someone said above in most southern states its legal and part of deer hunting tradition.

Mike Belt

I've never actively participated in deer hunting with dogs but I have been on stand when they were running. It really gets you fired up when the sound of the dogs keeps getting closer and closer but I've never actually had them run a deer by me. The closest I've come was while on stand once a dog came by and kept barking and lunging in and out of a small thicket off the side of a ridge about 75 yards from my tree. After a while it became evident he wasn't going to stop and it was about time to climb down anyway so I did. I was curious as to what he had bayed. Thinking it might just have been a bobcat or coon I headed that way. It was kind of tough going through a lot of briars. As I got to about 10' from the thicket a big buck jumped to his feet and began to spin away for his getaway. I had time to raise my rifle and shoot from the waist dropping him right back down. I guess he had either been bedded there all along and the dog had stumbled upon him or possibly he had been running him and he had tipped in behind me without me knowing. In any event he hadn't been shot previously. At first the dog didn't want to give him up but after a few tries I convinced him to be on his way.

Bone Collector

Gravey":e7jo4pmg said:
Met up with Bone Collector, his brother, and my brother in law today and did some drives. Really need 6-8 people for the area we were in but had a good time. Jumped several deer but no kills. Always try to do it once or twice at the end of the year.

Yeah it was fun and we needed more time, but my brother and I were pressed due to family being in town. I missed one at 60 yds or so but i have not flung a slug with a bead sight in a while and clean missed her. The funny thing is they were not a result of the drive, just ran up while I was standing there, but we did see a few just not enough people, so they were able to get around us.

Bone Collector

volunteer1":5e673vcd said:
Been fortunate enough to be a part of running dogs in North Carolina near the coast. I had a blast and most times killed deer. Several of us set up on on logging roads in pine thickets with shotguns, some in stands on shooting lanes and others would be in bean fields etc. If you haven't had the opportunity to experience it before you have to try it at least once. Like someone said above in most southern states its legal and part of deer hunting tradition.

I'll be honest, I grew up in VA and they run dogs up there. When i first started hunting, we didn't run dogs, but the guys and gals that did in the area would show up with truck loads of deer.

I know it is not for everyone, but I would love to do it one time. I have lots of 00 buck laying around :lol:

Mike Belt

My 2 objections to dog hunting are 1) it may interfere with stand hunters that aren't involved with the dog hunters and 2) there are a lot of running shots ending up with crippled deer.

GreyGoose

we used to do a drive every sunday afternoon over in arkansas after deer/duck hunting all weekend.
did a few hog/deer drives on horseback down at merigold hunting club in mississippi years ago back in high school.
All good times and memories.......been a lone hunter over last decade,hard for a deer drive being solo :)

Latest posts