Decoys

Remington700

I have never really hunted with decoys. I have always found myself in situations that they weren't needed. Thinking about giving them a try this year. What's the most realistic without breaking the bank? Also, something that is not too much to tote around.

Layne

The most realistic to me are the Avian-X decoys but they are expensive, I don't think turkeys are really all that bright so just about any decoy will fool them.
I just don't like to hunt with them because they are a pain to carry and keep up with, I've left a couple in the woods the few times I used them because I didn't want to carry them as I moved on turkeys, then was too lazy to go back and get it... squirrels and mice like to chew them if you leave them long enough :)...

ropintime

i have settled with the montana decoy, Miss Purrfect, folds up easy, really light and i've killed several over them. and they are not that expensive either , i think there is a new one out thats more expensive, but i have the original, they were about 29 bucks

30-06 type of guy

For $40-50 depending on where you find them at the flextones looks good enough for me. They went down to $7 at Walmart after last season. I recently bought the primos Jake which looks fine too and probably will end up with a flextone hen.

Trapper John

I don't have a whole lot of input on this, but I'd focus more on convenience than brand and price. Get something that folds easily, has a pole that folds up for quick and easy transport, and something lightweight. I honestly haven't noticed much difference in the reaction from a bird based on color or overall design. Get something that's easy for you to carry and go with it. I've had birds run to an old, beat up hen decoy I bought years ago on clearance from Walmart and she looks like crap after years of abuse. And she's been shot a few times, too.

TheLBLman

IMO, using decoys often does more harm than good, often reducing your chances of killing. I'm saying this not only because decoys often repel rather than attract turkeys, but also because hunters are often unknowingly seen by distant turkeys when the hunters are placing their decoys (and/or retrieving those decoys).

I sometimes use a "sitting" hen decoy, which is typically not visible to any turkeys until they're already well inside the kill zone (ideally, under 30 yds). Once seen, again, the Tom would typically already be under 30 yds when he sees it, i.e. I "called" him in, the decoy had no role in getting him there. But once he sees it, he may then stick his head up higher, go to it, and/or "hang around" (in range) longer, offering more opportunities for a good head shot. I mainly do this when I'm calling up a bird for another hunter; usually do not use a decoy when I'm hunting by myself.

Just to emphasize, I'm not using this decoy to "bring in" a turkey, as it's my belief decoys "repel" as much or more as they "attract". Add to this repulsion the risk of being seen or heard placing/retrieving, and the decoy(s) become a net liability. Add to that, having to carrying them. The sitting hen decoy's purpose is to provide more head-shooting opportunity on a bird ALREADY in the kill zone. This extra opportunity can be very beneficial for a young or inexperienced hunter, but may be of little value to a more experienced turkey hunter.

The disadvantage of even a "sitting" hen decoy is that should a bird see it while out-of-range, they will often come no closer. This "repulsion" is even more often with standing/feeding, jake, and full-strut decoys. Hence, the decoy cost you the kill.

When I use a "sitting" hen decoy, I've learned to typically "hide" it, so that it is less likely to be seen until the bird is already in the kill zone. For whatever reason, the "sitting" hen decoy less often repels a bird that suddenly sees it point-blank, whereby a more regular "standing" decoy often causes turkeys to "lock up", come no closer, then go away.

To reduce the chance of being seen (or heard!) placing a decoy, it should be placed at least 30 minutes before 1st light. Even that sometimes backfires when nearby roosting birds may hear you accidentally make an unnatural noise, often causing them to go any direction but yours when they leave the roost.

I'll just say turkey decoys have been so successfully marketed that some want them outlawed, they so believe that marketing. What's not seen in the "marketing" videos (as well as hunters first-hand seeing them work), are all those times decoys cost the hunter a bird. That is very difficult to measure because you don't "see" it.

For every tale of a decoy working like a magnet, there are the untold, often unknown, times the use of decoys repelled multiple birds, before working "as advertised".

catman529

The flextone decoys look pretty good to me for a budget friendly option... that's just going off what I've seen in the store. Best I've ever seen were DSD. Never have used a decoy though so I don't pay too much attention to detail

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
I feel like they are potentially helpful in the early season if you want to make a Tom jealous of a Jake swooping in on a hen. It's why I picked up a Flextone Funky Chicken on clearance from Wal-Mart last year.

But after breeding is mostly over it's probably not as helpful.

catman529

I feel like they are potentially helpful in the early season if you want to make a Tom jealous of a Jake swooping in on a hen. It's why I picked up a Flextone Funky Chicken on clearance from Wal-Mart last year.

But after breeding is mostly over it's probably not as helpful.
I got a funky chicken decoy, but it's for the gear shifter whenever I get my truck back from the shop. 😄

SteveJ

I like the Primos decoys. They look pretty good and not too bad expensive. The Avian X are probably most realistic but cost a lot

hbg1

What about the decoys designed for reaping, say the primos scoot and shoot? Anyone have success reaping? (And please refrain from digressing to the dangers, I am aware)

catman529

What about the decoys designed for reaping, say the primos scoot and shoot? Anyone have success reaping? (And please refrain from digressing to the dangers, I am aware)
I've done that a couple times (twice for myself and twice for a buddy) but I used a tail fan off another bird I killed, and it worked every time. I consider it a last resort attempt at a henned up field bird, and there's a good chance I won't ever do it again. It's fun to try once. Just use a fan and don't waste your money on the reaping decoy.

Rakkin6

Most realistic are either the Avian X or DSD but not cheap I do have and use Avian X decoys. Not everytime I hunt just depends on my plans for the day. The flextones and primos look very good also for the price point. Has far has reaping decoys go haven't and won't do it personally. Don't really mind people doing it since it is legal, refuse to bash an individual for a legal hunting method. But I personally don't want to get a face full of lead or TSS. Would be super nervous the whole time. Just remember decoys are a tool not a way for a bad hunter to become great.