Decide which Scope for which rifle

gtk

Staff member
So, because someone listed a deal on Vortex scope, I accidentally ended up with a Vortex Viper HS 4-14x44.

Here is my dilemma. Which elk rifle to put it on between these two.
a) Browning Abolt 300 wsm currently topped with Zeiss 3-9x50 scope
b) Savage Weather Warrior 300 wsm currently topped with a cheaper Vortex ? 4-12x40

My Browning is my main elk rifle and i have taken several elk/mule deer with it. The zeiss is crystal clear, but i would like to have a higher power scope on it.

My savage actually shoots 300yds+ a little better than my browning, possibly because of higher power scope?

I hate to mess with something that works, and the Browing setup works... But.... I could be better I guess.

Would I regret swapping the Zeiss for the Vortex HS ?

DaveTN

It takes me longer to get a good sight picture with my Vortex Viper. It just seems to be more critical of eye relief than my Leupolds. (To be fair they are not in the same price range) Its something you might want to check compared to your Zeiss.

gtk

Staff member
I hear what your saying.......

either buy a new rifle and mount this scope on (or put it on the savage)
or
if i'm dead set on higher magnification on primary rifle, get another zeiss

I bought this scope after reading the reviews, plus the discounted sales price, hoping it would be somewhat comparable to the zeiss. I guess i need to buy the Zeiss Conquest V4 4-16x44mm. Its only $1k compared to the $500 or so the vortex cost normally :)

PillsburyDoughboy

Clarity over magnification 100% of the time. No way I'd take a Zeiss off of my primary rifle to put on a Vortex. Unless it was a Terra. Everyone's eyes are different, so it may be that the Viper is clearer to you, but I'm not betting on it
THIS RIGHT HERE. Clarity over Magnification all day every day.

MODEL7FAN

Zeiss is superior to vortex. I wouldn't mess with the browning. I would find you a 280ai to put the new scope on. It's a perfect match for a 14x scope.

Latest posts