Day Six Gear, The Line They Won't Cross

Dean Parisian

Pamelot, TN Ghost Ranc MT San Jose del Cabo, MX
The line we won't cross....
It's hard to believe that it's been five years since we started Day Six. In that time we've experienced many highs and lows not uncommon with new companies and through it all we've been grateful for the opportunity to live out our dream. We've formed incredible friendships with first class humans that otherwise would never be a part of lives without this little company. We've also dealt with some world class pecker heads that make you appreciate the good guys that much more. In the end it's all part of the process and we are still excited to go to work every day.

Prior to Day Six I was somewhat oblivious to the inner workings of the hunting industry, especially as it pertains to social media. I had an idea that product promotion through influencers was a big component of most marketing strategies and was fine with it for the most part. What I did take issue with was how hunting was portrayed publicly and as a whole viewed it as disrespectful and destructive to this thing that I love so much.

Fast forward five years now and my original opinion on most everything perceived as damaging has been confirmed. What has changed 180 degrees though is the who.....as in who is the enemy.

It has always been my contention that the hunting industry and its marketing campaigns would actually provide anti-hunting organizations with the ammunition they need to take away our god given right to hunt by way of our own "content" posted publicly. It's becoming very clear that I've been partially wrong..... the number one threat facing the future of hunting is the enemy within, the modern hunter and the hunting industry.

With the advent of social media, the barrier to entry of becoming a outdoor industry promoter is all but nonexistent. With the new flood of "influencers" and those hopeful to become influencers also comes the noose by which we will hang our selves and subsequently the future of hunting. That noose is the singular tool of our demise.....CONTENT.

As a sidebar, for those who dream of being on brand X "pro-staff", "pro" is not short for professional it's an abbreviation for promotional....sorry to burst your bubble.

The quest, demand, need for content by so many is beyond a sustainable level. Not sustainable by what you ask.... nature, that's what. The resource is what will ultimately fail long before the anti-hunting organizations gain enough traction to make a difference.

At the end of the day, the one thing you can't cheat or BS your way through is
hunting. So at the end of each season there's always the same ten percent of hunters that are successful and the ninety percent that are unsuccessful. This ratio is probably more like 5% or 95% when it comes to influencers if I'm being honest.

To that end, there is a deficiency of "content" for many so enter the "participation trophies"....ie shed antlers, turkeys, etc. by which massive amounts of content is created to fill the void from unsuccessful fall seasons. The problem with some of these easier endeavors is that the impact on the resource is just not sustainable and the byproduct will be wildlife populations being adversely affected and subsequently less opportunity for all in the future.

In many areas turkey populations are on the decline and it's difficult for game and fish agencies to react quickly enough to change regulations. When hunter (I use that term loosely) success goes up exponentially through unconventional means like reaping or fanning, the results will be devastating to the long term turkey populations and ultimately reducing opportunity.

With regards to shed antler hunting, the timeframe of this activity coincides with the critical time of year when big game animals are at their weakest and most vulnerable. So while game and fish agencies are frantically trying to determine winter kill and the overall health of herds coming out of winter, shed antler hunters are combing the mountains adding more stress to already exhausted animals. I'm certainly not advocating for a ban on shed hunting, but I strongly feel that content creators have generated such a buzz over the activity that the number of participants is beyond sustainable to wildlife health and some strong measures need to be adopted soon.

So it all boils down to the theme of content and promotion above all else including the wildlife resource, habitat and ultimately the future of hunting. When a circus environment is created around wildlife, it is the wildlife itself that will ultimately pay the price of exploitation.

Here's the line we won't cross.....
•We will not put our business needs over wildlife and the future of hunting, period.
•We will not post bloody wound channel videos or pictures on social media just to
sell product.
•We will not support anyone who puts the quest for content and fame above all
else regardless of the negative consequences suffered by wildlife and the future of
hunting.
•We will not support anyone who promotes what we feel is unethical or dangerous
hunting practices regardless of its legality. Just because it's legal doesn't make it right.

Unfortunately, the ripple effect we have in the hunting industry cesspool is minimal so the real influence for change has to come from you the consumer by voting with your wallet. The only way to enact change in any industry is by way of their bottom line as it's a direct line to the decision makers ears.

So if you love the pursuit of wildlife as we do and want to preserve it for future generations, make your voice heard in any way you can. Hold these companies (including us if we lose perspective) and their influencers accountable for their actions. If there's someone shooting holes in the bottom of your boat, ignoring it is the equivalent of handing them more bullets.

As always, thank you all for your support over the last five years and we look for-
ward to the years ahead.

Bryan Broderick - Day Six Gear

crawford3546

I love that post... absolutely the truth. BUT...they won't hear what you're saying. I posted on someone's "reaping" post once and asked them what they were going to do when they destroyed the flock. Their answer "Change to the new way of killing them". Wonder how that's working out for them now? I personally only went twice this season because I only heard two birds within probably 20 total miles...on the Cumberland river.

Wrangler95

That is like I feel also,I'm all for the betterment of the animals we hunt,I'm gonna check out your company !Hope you have great success!

th88

One of the best posts of the year. I've been trying to spread awareness for several years now, primarily in regards to turkey hunting. Just saw your new podcast episode on Hunt Quietly. I'm downloading it now and looking forward to the listen. I hope you've shared this across other forums and platforms as well! I don't own any of your product, but I'm suddenly a Day Six fan. Thank you for taking a stance!

BSK

Prior to Day Six I was somewhat oblivious to the inner workings of the hunting industry, especially as it pertains to social media. I had an idea that product promotion through influencers was a big component of most marketing strategies and was fine with it for the most part. What I did take issue with was how hunting was portrayed publicly and as a whole viewed it as disrespectful and destructive to this thing that I love so much.

Fast forward five years now and my original opinion on most everything perceived as damaging has been confirmed. What has changed 180 degrees though is the who.....as in who is the enemy.

It has always been my contention that the hunting industry and its marketing campaigns would actually provide anti-hunting organizations with the ammunition they need to take away our god given right to hunt by way of our own "content" posted publicly. It's becoming very clear that I've been partially wrong..... the number one threat facing the future of hunting is the enemy within, the modern hunter and the hunting industry.

With the advent of social media, the barrier to entry of becoming a outdoor industry promoter is all but nonexistent. With the new flood of "influencers" and those hopeful to become influencers also comes the noose by which we will hang our selves and subsequently the future of hunting. That noose is the singular tool of our demise.....CONTENT.
Couldn't agree more. I don't watch hunting shows anymore, and rarely watch hunting content on YouTube, but much of what I've seen makes me shake my head. This is supposed to promote hunting?

MidTennFisher

Very well said. I recently made a large purchase from a fully made in the USA camo company because I was in the market for new stuff and it was impossible to find anyone else who absolutely refused to give into this destructive monster that is social media hunting. They don't pay any influencers, they don't post any pictures of dead or dying animals to sell stuff, only pictures of how well their camo blends into the woods.

Your broadheads look awesome. We don't have any sort of archery season here in SC except the last 2 weeks of September. So I barely even do it.

But if we ever get back to Tennessee where there is a more logical method of managing deer and thus a nice bow season, I'll will likely buy some of those.

Keep up the good work and you are right, this only changes when hunters stop paying into this garbage. Our dollars can either fund it or fight it.

The way I see it - you can only support hunting media or hunting. The two are mutually exclusive.