Daughter got her first turkey

eastTN270

Great smile, great bird.
Got a question.
I know the picture proves that a .410 kills turkeys but what's the effective range?
Up here in Yankee Hell, 20 gauge is the minimum.
I'd love to take a turkey with my .410 SXS.
She is using the Stevens 301T with Federal TSS. This bird was about 40 yards. Further than I would have liked, but we had pattered the gun at 40 yards and I knew it could do the job. Attached is a picture of her pattern.

Attachments

• A0658C02-46E8-4B31-A36B-8D672CA8D9AB.jpeg
    A0658C02-46E8-4B31-A36B-8D672CA8D9AB.jpeg
    213.7 KB · Views: 25

eastTN270

Beautiful little girl, and great pic. Love to see the girls hunting! (In my experience girls are better hunters than boys.. they are more conscientious about making a good shot and tend to have more respect for the animal than boys). And when it comes to turkey hunting, they can often sit still longer than boys!
Thanks so much. You described her exactly when talking about conscientious of shot placement and respect for the animal. For example: This past fall we were deer hunting. We had looked at a ton of pictures and I would always ask her "where would you shoot it?" She would answer and we would talk about the right and wrong answers. On the youth hunt we see a buck coming from a long ways off and he eventually works his way to 25 yards, turns broadside, and begins eating. We had plenty of time to get into position and get a solid rest while he was coming. I was talking to her the whole time (take you time, be patient, we have plenty of time, find him in the scope, squeeze the trigger, … all the things). She didn't shoot and the deer wondered off. I asked her when it was over "did you have him in the scope?" She said "yes, right where we had talked about, but I was worried that it wasn't the exact spot". She cried for a long time and said that she had missed her only opportunity, but I told her over and over what a mature decision she had made to NOT pull the trigger when she wasn't certain.

Chiflyguy

She is using the Stevens 301T with Federal TSS. This bird was about 40 yards. Further than I would have liked, but we had pattered the gun at 40 yards and I knew it could do the job. Attached is a picture of her pattern.
Wow.
That's very impressive.
301 is more modern than the 1940's 311 I'm gonna use.👍

Latest posts